The 20th anniversary of the WVAR

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "Kuhn, Sally" <KUHNS@xxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

Break out the cake and ice cream! This week marks 20 years since the first
Weekly Volcanic Activity Report (WVAR) was released to the public. It is a
milestone worth celebrating, so we have a few fun announcements.

The main WVAR page has a new look. Please visit the page and check it out (
https://volcano.si.edu/reports_weekly.cfm).

The WVAR is the product of a partnership between the Smithsonian's Global
Volcanism Program and the USGS Volcano Hazards Program. It was started in
2000 to meet increasing expectations on both agencies to provide the public
with more timely information about volcanic eruptions. Gari Mayberry
produced the reports from the beginning until mid-2006, when she passed the
torch to me, and I have been writing them since. To date there have been
16,098 individual reports written over 1,035 weeks on 305 different
volcanoes, an average of 16 per week! These numbers change each week,
reflecting the current weekâ??s count, and can now be found under the
*archive* *tab*.

Additionally, I want to draw your attention to a special page on the GVP
website celebrating the anniversary (https://volcano.si.edu/projects/wvar20/).
There is a short-ish reflective narrative about the WVAR followed by my top
50 eruption picks. These are a few of the many notable events over the past
few decades!

Finally, the WVAR would not be possible without the critical and trusted
volcanic activity reporting by the worldâ??s observatories. Their
authoritative data, along with valuable information issued by emergency
management and civil protection agencies, the worldwide VAACs,
meteorological agencies, and other key partners and observers make my job
possible. Thank you.

Have a wonderful day!

-Sally Sennert

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - http://pdx.edu/

GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/

IAVCEI - https://www.iavceivolcano.org/

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 4 Nov 2020 to 6 Nov 2020 (#2020-107)