IAVCEI ECR-Net Virtual Panel - Careers in Academia Part I: the Pacific

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "Dietterich, Hannah R" <hdietterich@xxxxxxxx>

Dear early-career volcanologists and enthusiasts,

Join IAVCEI ECR-Net for the next installment of our virtual panel series:

*Careers in Academia â?? Part I: the Pacific*

We try to alternate virtual panel times to serve all of you worldwide
and therefore
focus this time on the Pacific region, but stay tuned for Part II if you
are in the "Atlantic" time zones.

We will discuss skill sets, training, and the range of career options in
the realm of academia with this exciting line-up of experts:

Natalia Pardo (Assistant Professor, Universidad de los Andes, Colombia)
Mai Sas (Research Associate, Western Washington University, USA)
Caroline Bouvet de Maisonneuve (Assistant Professor, Earth Observatory of
Singapore NTU, Singapore)
James Muirhead (Lecturer, University of Auckland, NZ)

And the discussion will be moderated by Madison Myers (Assistant Professor,
Montana State University, USA)

Join in on *Thursday 20 August 2020* at *23:59 UTC* (Coordinated Universal
Time)

   - Hawaiâ??i: Thursday 20 August 02:00 PM (14:00)
   - USA West: Thursday 20 August 05:00 PM (17:00)
   - USA East: Thursday 20 August 08:00 PM (20:00)
   - Argentina, E-Brazil: Thursday 20 August 09:00 PM (21:00)
   - West-Europe: Friday 21 August 02:00 AM
   - Philippines, Singapore, China: Friday 21 August 08:00 AM
   - Japan: Friday 21 August 09:00 AM
   - New Zealand: Friday 21 August 12:00 noon

*Register in advance* for this Zoom meeting via:
https://ucsd.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJApdOGvrT8sHtbcylK7N3P1CUitz5yOEU7T

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information
about joining the meeting. Please use your institutional email to register
to help us filter out potential Zoom bombers.

The event will be one hour long, with ~30 minutes of structured discussion
between panelists and ~30 minutes Q&A with participants, although we may
run up to 90 minutes to be sure to have time for your questions. You are
welcome to post your questions on our Facebook group page, Twitter account
or via e-mail to ecrnetiavcei@xxxxxxxxx.

We are planning to continue holding virtual panel events every 3-4
weeks at alternating
times for the foreseeable future. Stay tuned for â??Careers in Academia â??
Part II: Europe, Africa, Americasâ??, "Postdocs", â??Work-life balanceâ??
and â??Science
Communication in times of crisisâ??. Suggestions for other topics and/or
panelists
are always welcome, as well as new initiatives, so don't hesitate to be in
touch with us via our email or social media!

Looking forward to seeing all of you on August 20 (or 21 depending on time
zone)!

All the best, stay healthy, and take care in these tough times!

The IAVCEI ECR-Net working group

Oryaëlle, James, Sam, Francesca, Rebecca, Omari, Pablo, James, and Hannah

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2