Call for volcanology/petrology sessions for the EGU General Meeting 2021

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Brendan Mccormick Kilbride <brendan.mccormickkilbride@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear colleagues,

The EGU General Assembly 2021 (EGU2021) will be held at the Austria Center
Vienna (ACV) from 25 to 30 April 2021. In addition, virtual attendance will
be possible. Please see the provisional format at:
https://egu2021.eu/about/provisional_format_of_egu2021.html

As Science Officers of the Geochemistry, Petrology, Mineralogy and
Volcanology (GMPV) division, we encourage you to consider proposing a
session for this meeting. You can do this, from now until 11 SEPTEMBER
2020, by suggesting sessions with conveners and a description at:
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2021/programme

You have the possibility to propose either physical sessions, which will be
run on site in the traditional oral + poster format, or hybrid sessions
called Virtual PICO, which will be a further development of the
well-established PICO format that allows both on-site and virtual
participation.

In past meetings, we have had diverse and engaging sessions across numerous
topics that cover the breadth of GMPV and often link closely with other EGU
divisions. We are eager that the 2021 meeting is similarly successful. We
very much encourage the proposal of inter-disciplinary sessions that
establish or strengthen links with other divisions.

We are also particularly keen to broaden the profile of our session
convenors, notably to include early career scientists and members of our
community from traditionally underrepresented or minority groups. We
encourage senior scientists to seek opportunities to invite or involve
their colleagues from these groups. The partially-virtual scope of the EGU
2021 general meeting affords opportunities for inviting co-convenors from
anywhere in the world and we will gladly support efforts to broaden
participation.

If you are interested in convening sessions, please go ahead yourselves or
otherwise feel free reach out to us if we can be of any support, for
example in connecting different groups with similar ideas for sessions.

Kind regards,

Andrea DiMuro, IPGP

Anja Schmidt, University of Cambridge

Brendan McCormick Kilbride, University of Manchester

Chiara Maria Petrone, Natural History Museum, London

Eleanor Jennings, Birkbeck, University of London

Evgenia Ilyinskaya, University of Leeds

Marco Viccaro, University of Catania

Igneous Petrology & Volcanology Science Officers

EGU GMPV Division

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1