Granular physics AGU session advertisement

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Amelia Winner <ahw5060@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to contribute to our session at the American Geophysical
Union Fall Meeting: *Granular and fluid physics in geomorphology*. AGU is
"mostly virtual" this year, taking place December 7-11. Abstracts are due
July 29th, our session can be found here:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/103806
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/103806__;!!C5qS4YX3!TpH2m5pzC3W0e5-mXZ1jJbuentKM-3xeDoq7bNMyj8eZroOO95yiX9JI6aeWftxGGOU$>

*Session description:*
Patterns and change on planetary surfaces can arise from the interaction
between fluid and grains. Indeed, most of process geomorphology is
dedicated to understanding these interactions and how they dictate behavior
at other scales. Because of the ubiquity of granular-fluid interactions,
other applied fields like engineering and medicine continue to reveal and
use multiphase phenomena alongside geoscience. Together with basic physics,
interaction between the fields has led to significant progress; many
laboratory techniques in geomorphology draw from mechanical engineering,
for example. This session welcomes contributions that apply techniques or
ideas used in other fields about granular and fluid physics to problems in
geomorphology. Problems related to transient dynamics (e.g. instabilities,
segregation, creep) are of particular interest. Experiments, fieldwork,
modeling, remote sensing and theory are all welcome, as are problems
pertaining to any landscape type.

*Invited speakers:*
Pauline Delorme, University of Southampton (Topic: Dune instability)
Rachel Glade, Los Alamos National Lab (Topic: Solifluction instability)

*Conveners:*
Andrew Gunn, University of Pennsylvania
Nakul Deshpande, University of Pennsylvania
Amelia Winner, University of Oregon

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1