GSA 2020: T35. Building the SZ4D Magmatic Drivers of Eruption Theme: Geologic Evidence from Active and Exhumed Arcs

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Ayla Pamukcu <apamukcu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to our virtual GSA session *T35.
Building the SZ4D Magmatic Drivers of Eruption Theme: Geologic Evidence
from Active and Exhumed Arcs. *This is one of three GSA sessions associated
with the SZ4D initiative (https://www.sz4d.org/) and is aimed at
highlighting ongoing research across a range of geoscience techniques that
further our understanding of the transcrustal magmatic processes that lead
to volcanic eruptions in subduction systems.

Session Description:

One of the frontier questions of subduction zone science is the processes
that lead to initiation of volcanic eruptions â?? defined here as upward
movement of magma to the surface following long term crustal storage â?? at
arc volcanoes. In this session we seek contributions from geology,
geochemistry, petrology, geodesy, seismology, numerical modeling and other
disciplines that constrain the complex sets of processes that promote the
initiation of volcanic eruptions, through their greater understanding of
the complex transcrustal-scale magma plumbing systems that underlie them.

The Subduction Zones in Four Dimensions (SZ4D) Research Coordination
Network is an initiative to propose a new program to study subduction zones
â?? the places where tectonic plates converge and collide â?? through both
space and time, with a focus on the fundamental processes underlying
geologic hazards such as great earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides, and
volcanic eruptions.

Invited Speakers:

Meredith Townsend (University of Oregon), Ben Klein (Boston College), Kayla
Iacovino (NASA)

The abstract submission deadline is August 4, 2020.

We look forward to your contribution and â??seeingâ?? you at GSA from 26-30
October!

Ben Black (CUNY), Emily Chin (Scripps), Mike Eddy (Purdue), Ayla Pamukcu
(Stanford), Terry Plank (LDEO)

PS If you havenâ??t already, we hope those interested will sign up for the
Magmatic Drivers of Eruption Interest Group (https://www.sz4d.org/volcanoes),
watch our recent webinar, and complete our surveys â?? we need your input!

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3