Online discussion panels addressing inequalities in the VMSG community - First discussion (20th July) registration

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Michael Cassidy <michael.cassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

The Volcanic & Magmatic Studies Group (VMSG - https://vmsg.org.uk/) aims to
provide a supportive environment where all in the community are welcome and
valued. We are keen to promote balance in terms of gender, ethnicity,
religion, geography, location, physical ability, sexual orientation,
socioeconomic background & others. Nevertheless, we recognise that practice
in encouraging diversity is not yet good enough in our community, and as
our contribution to the Black Lives Matters movement, we will convene a
series of web-based discussion panels. These will acknowledge:

(i) The historical construction of inequalities in our research field
globally (*Origins*)

(ii) Learn about the barriers to inclusion (*The problem today*)

(iii) Co-create a manifesto for tangible actions for VMSG moving forwards (*The
Future*).

With these discussion panels we need to â??do workâ?? to understand how we are
part of the problem, and consider how VMSG can be part of the solution.
Where we ask for contributions from community members from ethnic
minorities in the UK or colleagues from overseas, we will acknowledge and
amplify that effort. These three discussion panels will each last around 90
minutes.

·        *Discussion Panel 1:  20th July 2020, 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM (BST,
GMT+1)*

*Origins: understanding the impacts of historical inequalities in research
undertaken by the Volcanic & Magmatic Studies Group community.*

*Sign up here:* https://forms.gle/dbsYubdowb3gHcBS8

Our five invited panellists (*) will explore the historical construction of
inequalities in accessing research, the benefits gained from resources
overseas (volcanological, mineralogical, petrological and geochemical) and
how we might avoid â??parachuteâ??(**) science in the wake of these privileges.
After introductory plenaries from our panel (~1 hour) we will use the
virtual format to gather discussion topics and questions from all
participants and together consider how future practice in research might
improve benefits for vulnerable communities and scientists in the countries
where we work.

(*) Panellists: Jazmin Scarlett, University of Newcastle; Elisa Sevilla,
Universidad San Francisco de Quito; Kathryn Goodenough, British Geological
Survey; Matthieu Kervyn, Vrije Universitiet, Brussels; Richie Robertson,
University of the West Indies.  Chaired by Jenni Barclay (UEA, UK)

(**) parachute science: where we do research or fieldwork without
involvement or acknowledgement of local scientific or non-scientific
expertise. See:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-problem-of-colonial-science/ for
an example in Conservation

There are a limited number of places available to attend this event.
Information to join the virtual event will be emailed to you closer to the
time.

This event will last 90 minutes *(1 hour introduction from the panellists,
followed by 30 minutes of discussion*).

We look forward to seeing you there!

VMSG committee

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1