AGU Session Celebrating 2 Decades of GeoPRISMS & MARGINS Science

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: "Wade, Jennifer A" <jwade@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

In honor of 20 years of combined MARGINS + GeoPRISMS Science, we are
convening a session at the virtual AGU 2020 titled  "Advances in
Understanding Continental Margin Evolution: Two Decades of GeoPRISMS and
MARGINS Science.â??

We are excited to invite a wide range of abstracts that capture this
incredible period of multidisciplinary and amphibious science. We encourage
abstracts that bring together disciplines and datasets to address a
specific research problem or knowledge gap within the scope of GeoPRISMS or
MARGINS science. The scientific objectives of the GeoPRISMS program can be
found at http://geoprisms.org/ .

Abstracts for AGU 2020 will be accepted through July 29, 2020.

We look forward to celebrating the incredible science accomplished by this
community!

Jennifer Wade (NSF)

Demian Saffer (UT Austin)

Katie Kelley (URI)

Harm Van Avendonk (UT Austin)

*Session ID:* 103961
*Session Title:* Advances in Understanding Continental Margin Evolution:
Two Decades of GeoPRISMS and MARGINS Science
*Section:* Tectonophysics

Over the past two decades, the GeoPRISMS and MARGINS programs have brought
together a vibrant community of geoscientists to conduct computational,
laboratory, and large scale field experiments that span the shorelines of
continental margins. These interdisciplinary investigations aim to
understand Earthâ??s most active tectonic, mass transfer, and sedimentary
systems, and have yielded new insights into processes that underlie both
active and passive margin evolution, and major geohazards that affect
population centers, including large earthquakes, volcanic eruptions,
tsunamis, and landslides. In this session, we invite presentations that
contribute to advancing and integrating the research efforts of these two
decadal programs and their associated communities, including research at
focus/primary sites, allied thematic studies, and particularly work that
uses large and diverse datasets to synthesize geophysical, geochemical,
numerical, and/or experimental investigations to illuminate and quantify
fundamental processes that control deformation and mass flux at active
subduction zones, continental rift systems, and passive margins.

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1