JpGU-AGU2020 session S-VC34: Magma crystallization, fragmentation, and their roles on volcanic eruption

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Takahiro MIWA <miwao@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit your abstract for our session in
JpGU-AGU2020.

S-VC34: Magma crystallization, fragmentation, and their roles on volcanic
eruption

Scope: Crystallization of magma during magma ascent in the conduit has a
large impact on the dynamics of volcanic eruptions. Magma viscosity and
brittleness increase with crystallization. This change of rheological
properties may cause brittle fragmentation of low-viscosity basaltic magma
during highly explosive subplinian and Plinian eruptions. On the other
hand, crystallization may form rigid crystal frameworks, causing efficient
outgassing through the interaction between the crystal frameworks and
growing gas bubbles in ascending magma, resulting in effusive eruptions.
This session aims to integrate information of elementary processes to
develop physical models of multiphase magma ascent and eruption. In this
view, we welcome innovative and multidisciplinary contributions from
experimental volcanologists, numerical modelers, petrologists, and also
geophysicists who develop and extend techniques to explore crystallization
and bubble-crystal interactions, and their effects on fragmentation and
outgassing of multiphase magma during effusive and explosive eruptions.

Invited speakers: Atsuko Namiki (Hiroshima Univ), Mike Burton (Univ
Manchester)

The deadline for the abstract submission is Feb 18 at 17:00JST.
We are looking forward to your contributions to our session!

Conveners:
Takahiro Miwa (NIED)
Satoshi Okumura (Tohoku Univ)
Pranabendu Moitra (Univ Arizona)