GOLD2020 Session 05c

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: Chiara Maria Petrone <C.Petrone@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following session at
Goldschmidt 2020. The abstract submission is open and the deadline is 14th
February.

05c: From Mush to Magma: The Dynamics of Volcanic Systems and their Link
with Volcanism
<https://goldschmidt.info/2020/program/programViewThemes#session_471_4644>

Conveners: Maren Kahl <https://goldschmidt.info/2020/userView?userId=33712>,
 Teresa Ubide <https://goldschmidt.info/2020/userView?userId=33713>, Chiara
Maria Petrone <https://goldschmidt.info/2020/userView?userId=3618>, Kari
Cooper <https://goldschmidt.info/2020/userView?userId=13175>
Keynote: Adam Kent (Oregon State University)

Understanding the dynamics of volcanic systems is fundamental to volcanic
hazard assessment and forecasting volcanic eruptions. A major challenge is
the ability to recognise if, when and how quickly a magmatic system can
switch from a state of dormancy into a state of unrest or eruption. Despite
the large body of geophysical information on magma migration and
accumulation within sub-volcanic plumbing systems worldwide, there is
currently no integrated view on how transcrustal mush-dominated systems
evolve in space and time. The architecture of this magma reservoir system
plays a central role in the dynamics of magma storage, mixing, transport
through the crust, and triggering of eruptions. Understanding the dynamics
requires coupling time scales with processes, and in magmatic systems is
also closely coupled with temperature (and therefore crystallinity).
Critically, eruption-triggering processes can unfold during the dormant
state of a volcano, when signals of unrest in the shallow parts of its
plumbing system can remain undetected. In this session, we welcome
contributions aimed at improving our understanding of the dynamics of
magmatic systems, combining inter- and multi-disciplinary methods that shed
light on how, where and when key physical and chemical transitions from
mush to magma occur. We also invite contributions that focus on the nature
and conditions of magma storage and critical timescales (both radiogenic
isotopes and diffusion related studies) that govern magma accumulation,
transfer and re-mobilisation within transcrustal magmatic systems, thermal
conditions of magma storage, barometry recording depths of magma storage
and crystallization, and the fate of volatiles before and during major
volcanic eruptions.

Hope to see you all in Honolulu!

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4