Goldschmidt 2020 Session 05k: "The Role of Petrography and Geochemistry in Deciphering Eruption Styles and Dynamics"

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: "Martin Mangler (ENV - Staff)" <M.Mangler@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to Goldschmidt 2020 Session 05k: â??The
Role of Petrography and Geochemistry in Deciphering Eruption Styles and
Dynamicsâ??. This session explores igneous processes from magma storage
depths to shallow conduit levels and their controls on eruptive styles â?? we
look forward to your contribution!

*Keynote Speaker*: Margaret Hartley (University of Manchester)

*Session Description*: Petrographic measurements and geochemical analyses
provide critical evidence to reconstruct processes and dynamics of
eruptions, past and present. A wide range of petrological tools allow us to
enhance our understanding of pre- and syneruptive processes. For example,
elemental diffusion profiles across crystals can be used to calculate
mixing and ascent rates, and mingling textures of microlite-rich and -poor
melts can be quantified in order to infer the evolution of shallow magma
pathways. In this session, we specifically invite studies on eruption
mechanisms and dynamics based on petrographical and/or geochemical work. We
encourage studies focussing on shallow conduit processes as well as
investigations into pre-eruptive magma reservoir processes which exert
control over eruptive styles and dynamics. Further, we aim to stimulate
discussion on how multidisciplinary approaches may be used to enhance
traditional analytical techniques.

*Session Conveners*:

William Moreland (Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia -
Osservatorio Etneo)

Martin Mangler (University of East Anglia)

Chiara Maria Petrone (Natural History Museum London)

Sarah Tapscott (Massey University)

*Session Link*:
https://goldschmidt.info/2020/program/programViewThemes#session_471_4527

*Abstract Deadline*: 14 February 2020