Future activities of the IAVCEI Commissions on Explosive Volcanism and Tephra Hazard Modelling

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Sara Barsotti <sara@xxxxxxxx>

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Dear colleagues and collaborators,

As you may remember, on 20 February 2019, the leadership of the Commissions
on Explosive Volcanism (CEV) and Tephra Hazard Modelling (THM) announced a
possible merging of the two commissions to the Volcano Listserv. Since that
time, we have decided to suspend a formal merging, and simply proceed by
working together closely on future activities in the short term, as
described below.

The idea of merging arose at the IAVCEI 2017 meeting as a way to promote
more active, collaborative outcomes in areas of overlapping interest (e.g.,
pyroclastic processes and modelling). The IAVCEI Secretariat supported the
idea as a way to consolidate and strengthen existing commissions. Since
then, some initiatives were organized in close collaborations among CEV and
THM. However, after we sent the announcement to the Volcano listserv, we
received several comments from active members who disagreed with that idea.
This encouraged us to reconsider a path forward, and after careful
consideration (i.e., consultation with colleagues, active members, and
IAVCEI leadership), we propose the following actions:

   - Maintain the two distinct commissions (CEV and THM) as formal entities;
   - Develop cohesive activities that foster the scientific community in
   physical volcanology and tephra studies by working closely as partnered
   commissions;
   - Renovate the websites for both commissions by the end of 2019,
   including updated goals to reflect current scientific advances and
   opportunities;
   - Run a joint field workshop (plus theoretical component) at Santorini
   for the upcoming Cities on Volcanoes Meeting in Crete in 2020. This
   workshop intends to bring together researchers from different disciplines
   (field geology, modeling, petrology, engineering) to address outstanding
   issues in the generation, transport, and emplacement of pyroclastic
   deposits.

We want to thank all who spent the time to reply to us with ideas, and
constructively discuss the pros and cons of a potential merging. We look
forward to moving ahead as partnered commissions within the IAVCEI family.
Feel free to reply to us at any time with further comments, ideas, or
requests. We look forward to seeing some of you at the upcoming IUGG
meeting in Montreal.

P.S.

To subscribe to the CEV commission and the CEV mailing list, you can use
this form (please share this link with others who may wish to join):
https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/s4q2v0;

To subscribe to the THM commission and mailing list,  you can use this form
(please share this link with others who may wish to join):
https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/z0r1z6

Daniele Andronico* â?? **daniele.andronico@xxxxxxx*
<daniele.andronico@xxxxxxx>

Sara Barsotti* â?? **sara@xxxxxxxx* <sara@xxxxxxxx>