AGU Fall Meeting Session - Magmatic Sedimentology: a Critical Appraisal of Crystal Re-distribution in Plutons

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Marian Holness <marian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following session at the 2019
AGU Fall Meeting.

*V031 - Magmatic Sedimentology: a Critical Appraisal of Crystal
Re-distribution in Plutons*

Many plutons preserve magmatic structures that bear a geometric resemblance
to those in sedimentary rocks. Examples include mineral grading in layering
apparently formed by hydrodynamical sorting, trough-like structures with
local truncations consistent with erosion and re-deposition, fluid escape
and loading structures, and fabrics defined by preferred grain orientations.

We know little about the scale and mechanisms of crystal re-distribution
during convection and magmatic flow in igneous bodies despite this playing
a vital role in magmatic evolution. Solving the problem requires an
understanding of the fluid dynamical behaviour of cohesive, particle-rich,
high-viscosity systems undergoing solidification with or without an
externally-imposed stress. A critical part of the solution will involve the
development of robust proxies to decode the record of crystal
re-distribution in now fully-solidified plutonic rocks. We welcome
contributions from field, laboratory and theoretical studies of mass
transport in solidifying magmatic systems, from layered mafic intrusions to
granitoids.

We are delighted to have *George Bergantz* (talk title: Forces, friction
and fabric: microstructural controls on common plutonic fabrics) and *Roberto
Weinberg* (talk title: Crystal - melt separation in magmas: the field
evidence) as invited speakers. Please consider submitting an abstract by
the *July 31 deadline*. We are looking forward to an stimulating AGU Fall
Meeting!

Best wishes from the session convenors
Marian Holness (Cambridge)
Scott Paterson (University Southern California)
Katie Ardill (University Southern California)
Charlotte Gordon (Cambridge)

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/