Volcano net contribution

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: William Rose <raman@xxxxxxx>

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

*Help from field volcanologists familiar with basalt flows needed!!*

I found a lava flow feature that I havenâ??t seen before, and I hope that
some field observations somewhere exist. I hope that you will look at this
description and give feedback:
*Have you seen something like this?  Where? Have you a photo to share?*

Rusty rings resembling liesegang
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liesegang_rings_(geology)> in lava flows
along the Lake Superior shoreline.  The basaltic lavas are within a
formation called the Copper Harbor Conglomerate within a member called the
Lake Shore traps.  They are found along a 60 km stretch of shoreline, above
a below the present lake level. They are rusty globular rings  up to 1m in
diameter. We have not done any microscopic or mineralogical examination at
this point. Our first look at liesegang literature reveals visual
similarity, but they are thought to occur in sediments and not lavas.
several photographs are included see: http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~raman/HazComm

other possibly relevant links
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/KeweenawGeoheritage/BlackLavas/Hunters_Point.html
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/KeweenawGeoheritage/BlackLavas/Welcome.html