Volcanology modeling infrastructure -- Invitation to a Discussion

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Einat Lev <einatlev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Dear Volcano Community,

I would like to bring to your attention and invite you to participate in a
discussion of the needs and state of software capabilities and
infrastructure for volcanology. This discussion is part of the CONVERSE
Research Coordination Network (RCN) aimed at preparing the (US) volcanology
community to maximize the scientific return from volcanic eruption.

The discussion will take place both in person / teleconference during the
CIDER meeting (details below) and online, on a dedicated Slack channel.

Topics we hope to discuss include:

Part 1. Discussion of the 5 CONVERSE scenarios:
        What kind of observations will we as modelers want the response
team to collect?
        What observations would we want to be collected as a baseline
before each of these scenarios?
        What is the status of models that we have (or not) available that
are relevant for these scenarios and on what time scale?
The goal of Part 1 is a work plan that will help maximize the scientific
return â?? from the modelers perspective â?? from an event.

Part 2. Geoinformatics proposal plan:
        Overview of the Geoinformatics 2019 RFP
        What is the current state of community modeling resources (incl.
hardware, software and human)?
        What is missing?
        What do we want to propose?
The goal of Part 2 is an outline of a proposal, a writing/PI team, and a
statement of requirements from â??the communityâ?? (e.g., a white paper)

Part 3. Discussion of the need or wish for a more expanded workshop in the
fall.

In-person / telecom CIDER meeting:
We will meet on Saturday June 29th, starting at lunch at 12:30pm and ending
with a dinner at 7. Room will be determined later.
We will include remote participants in the discussion via Zoom. Timing
should be manageable for the different US time zones.

Slack
Use this to join the channel:
https://join.slack.com/t/volcanomodeling/shared_invite/enQtNjM4MjM1Mjg5MDg4LThkYzhlZWYyMDc0OGQ3NDc4OWRkMDY0Y2Y1MjFiYmZlMTgzMWEzZGVhNzZhYTJhMGY3MzIxMDJmZTU5NjlhMjc

If you are interested in participating in the discussion during CIDER,
please let me know if what format. We might be able to assist with travel
expenses.

All the best,
Einat and the rest of the CONVERSE team

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/