Goldschmidt session : Do Magmatic Systems Play by our Rules? Translating from an Equilibrium Rulebook into a Kinetic Playbook

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Matthew Pankhurst <M.J.Pankhurst@xxxxxxxxxxx>

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

Goldschmidt session announcement: Theme 06 Magmas and volcanoes, Session
06j:

*Do Magmatic Systems Play by our Rules? Translating from an Equilibrium
Rulebook into a Kinetic Playbook*

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to contribute to our session 06j â??*Do Magmatic
Systems Play by our Rules? Translating from an Equilibrium Rulebook into a
Kinetic Playbookâ??* at the Goldschmidt Conference 2019 (Barcelona, Spain
18-23 August)

(https://goldschmidt.info/2019/) (
https://goldschmidt.info/2019/program/programViewThemes)

 Conveners: Francesco Vetere
<https://goldschmidt.info/2019/userView?userId=7641>, Pier Paolo Giacomoni
<https://goldschmidt.info/2019/userView?userId=8091>, Matt Pankhurst
<https://goldschmidt.info/2019/userView?userId=30485>, Tom Shea
<https://goldschmidt.info/2019/userView?userId=24212>, Megan Newcombe
<https://goldschmidt.info/2019/userView?userId=30490>, John Maclennan
<https://goldschmidt.info/2019/userView?userId=10832>

Experimental petrology provides the rulebook for a view of magmatic
processes that is predicated upon equilibrium. Thermodynamic equilibrium
allows compositional variations of erupted products to be tied to intensive
parameters in the sub-volcanic system, forming the link between
petrological and geophysical interrogation of volcanic systems. It is
becoming clear, however, that nature does not necessarily play by these
rules. Instead, it is the driving forces toward equilibrium that underpin
volcanic phenomena, and partly establish the textural, petrological, and
geochemical record we rely on to reconstruct subsurface magmatic histories.
Dynamics and kinetics in magmatic processes leave their imprint in the form
of disequilibrium textures and chemical zonation in minerals and glass in
volcanic rocks. These petrological indicators provide us with time capsules
for magmatic processes, and have been the subject of substantial model
development over the last decade. The aim of this session is to explore the
integration of equilibrium-based and kinetic approaches, for example,
thermobarometry and diffusion timescales. We welcome contributions from
observational, theoretical and experimental research that extends the state
of the art in the understanding of natureâ??s playbook of magmatic processes.
This includes cross-disciplinary efforts to combine geochemical and
geophysical records of magma generation, storage, mobilization and eruption.

We are also pleased to announce this yearâ??s keynote speaker:

Prof. Julia Hammer (University of Hawaii)

Information about abstract submission can be found at
https://goldschmidt.info/2019/abstracts/instructions

The deadline is March 29, 2019.

Looking forward to meeting you in Barcelona,

John, Matt, Megan, Francesco, Pier Paolo and Tom

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/