IAVCEI Commissions merger: CEV and Tephra hazard modelling

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Sara Barsotti <sara@xxxxxxxx>

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Dear Colleagues,

After few years of work, we are here to announce a merger of the IAVCEI
Commission on Tephra Hazard Modeling and the Commission on Explosive
Volcanism.

CEV is one of the oldest commissions established within IAVCEI and its aim
is to encourage and support studies and investigations on the wide
range explosive
eruption phenomena: from observations, dynamic processes and modelling, to
hazard assessment. The THM Commission focused on a more specific goal
of supporting field observations and the use of quantitative models of
tephra-producing eruptions.

We believe a merging between the two commissions will allow a more
coordinated effort and will reinvigorate an active international network
interested in all aspects of explosive volcanism topics.

Specific themes or hot-topic research areas will possibly activate Working
Groups within the CEV. These will get full support from the Commission for
the duration required to accomplish focused goals in the research framework.

All the current leaders of the two Commissions as well as the two
Secretariat of IAVCEI strongly support the idea of the merging, but with
this email we also want to make sure that any colleagues not happy about
this decision will get the chance to comment. So, please feel free to
contact any of us for additional comments.

We also want to get the chance to remind you, once more, about the physical
volcanology session planned for the upcoming IUGG General Assembly in
Montreal, Canada, 8â??18 July 2019. This is the first event organised within
the new established Commission on Explosive Volcanism.

*Fostering the integration of deposit and modeling studies to investigate
the subaerial processes of explosive eruptions* [Session V07]
http://iugg2019montreal.com/v.html
27th IUGG General Assembly |International Association of Volcanology and
Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (IAVCEI) > V| 2019 - MONTREAL, CANADA
<http://iugg2019montreal.com/v.html>
iugg2019montreal.com
27th IUGG General Assembly |Home| 2019 - MONTREAL, CANADA
<http://iugg2019montreal.com/>
iugg2019montreal.com
Beyond 100: The next century in Earth and Space Science. The 27th IUGG
General Assembly will be held July 8-18, 2019 at the Palais des Congrès in
Montréal, Québec, Canada.

V06 â?? Linking Volcano-Sedimentary Features with Eruptive Processes .
Convener: Gabor Kereszturi (New Zealand) Co-Conveners: Guilhem Amin
Douillet (Germany), Gro Birkefeldt Møller Pedersen (Iceland) Description.
Volcaniclastic sediments encompass all primary pyroclastic rocks and
deposits that formed in relation with volcanic eruptions, and successions
remobilized during a volcanic eruption ...

Understanding the dynamics of explosive eruptions is of paramount
 importance for the assessment of volcanic hazard and a major key to
improve our knowledge is the study of resulting pyroclastic deposits. On
one side, we know that differences in properties such as grain
size, vesicularity, clast morphology and deposit geometry clearly reflect
different transport and depositional processes. For example, Prof. Walker
showed how grain-size characteristics and dispersal area of a pyroclastic
deposit can be used to infer eruption discharge rate and intensity. On the
other side, we have to face the problem that preservation of deposit is
typically incomplete and, for the interpretation of such partial
information about past eruptions, modeling of subaerial explosive eruptions
can be extremely helpful. For example, application of inversion techniques
to numerical models of ash dispersal is showing promising results. In this
symposium, we encourage contributions from both field volcanologists and
modelers to investigate how deposit studies can support the understanding
and the modeling of volcanic processes and how modeling studies can help in
the interpretation of deposit properties.

We warmly invite you to submit an abstract and join this discussion. The
deadline for abstracts and travel grant applications is *18 February
2019* *before
midnight CET*.

We look forward to seeing you there and planning the next community-wide
workshop on explosive volcanism.

Sincerely, Conveners and new co-leaders of the IAVCEI Commission
on Explosive Volcanism

Sara Barsotti | IMO, Iceland | sara@xxxxxxxx
Marco Pistolesi | University of Pisa, Italy | marco.pistolesi@xxxxxxxx
Daniele Andronico | INGV, Italy | daniele.andronico@xxxxxxx