IUGG 2019 session “V07 – Fostering the integration of deposit and modeling studies to investigate the sub-aerial processes of explosive eruptions”

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Daniele Andronico <daniele.andronico@xxxxxxx>

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Dear All,

We would like to draw your attention to the session â??V07 â?? Fostering the
integration of deposit and modeling studies to investigate the sub-aerial
processes of explosive eruptionsâ?? proposed in the context of the 27th IUGG
General Assembly, which will be held on July 8-18, 2019 at the Palais des
Congrès in Montréal, Québec, Canada (
http://iugg2019montreal.com/abstract-submission.html).

This session is focused on the synergy between both field volcanologists
and modelers to investigate and understand tephra deposit studies for the
modeling of volcanic processes and, vice versa, how modeling studies can be
used to interpret the deposit properties.
The deadline for the abstract submission is *February 18, 2019*.
Hoping the initiative will meet your favor, we look forward to receiving
your contribution.

Sincerely yours,
Sara, Marco, Alexa, Daniele and Mattia

*V07 â?? Fostering the integration of deposit and modeling studies to
investigate the sub-aerial processes of explosive eruptions *

Understanding the dynamics of explosive eruptions is of paramount
importance for the assessment of volcanic hazard and a major key to improve
our knowledge is the study of resulting pyroclastic deposits. On one side,
we know that differences in properties such as grain size, vesicularity,
clast morphology and deposit geometry clearly reflect different transport
and depositional processes. For example, Prof. Walker showed how grain-size
characteristics and dispersal area of a pyroclastic deposit can be used to
infer eruption discharge rate and intensity. On the other side, we have to
face the problem that preservation of deposit is typically incomplete and,
for the interpretation of such partial information about past eruptions,
modeling of subaerial explosive eruptions can be extremely helpful. For
example, application of inversion techniques to numerical models of ash
dispersal is showing promising results. In this symposium, we encourage
contributions from both field volcanologists and modelers to investigate
how deposit studies can support the understanding and the modeling of
volcanic processes and how modeling studies can help in the interpretation
of deposit properties.

Convener: S. Barsotti (Iceland)
Co-Conveners: M. Pistolesi (Italy), A. Van Eaton (USA), D. Andronico
(Italy), M. de' Michieli Vitturi (Italy)

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/