Density currents at EGU 2019

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7
from: Rebecca Williams <Rebecca.Williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

Do you study density currents? We'd like to draw your attention to our
session at EGU 2019 "Bridging the gap between volcanic and marine density
current behaviour and sedimentation". This is a co-hosted session by
SSP/GMPV/NH
with the intention of bringing together milti-disciplinary perspectives on
density currents, to learn from each others approaches and answer common
questions. Session description is pasted below. The session is here:

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/session/30500

Abstract submission deadline is the 10th January.

Many thanks
Rebecca Williams, Michael Clare, Edward Pope & Pete Rowley

Submarine turbidity currents and pyroclastic density currents, despite
their contrast in carrier fluid, have much in common. Both pose a
significant hazard as catastrophic flows. Both environments are challenging
to directly sample during emplacement, and suffer from a relative lack of
observation in the field. Their deposits demonstrate a similar set of
bedform structures and lithostratigraphies. How much can be learnt and
shared between the different communities? Where do comparisons usefully
end, and where can paradigms be borrowed and adapted? How do recent studies
where pyroclastic density currents have entered water and transitioned into
turbidity currents add to our understanding of flow transitions? This
session aims to bring together field, experimental and numerical studies
from a number of geophysical mass flow communities to share best practice,
methods, and analyses and answer a number of key challenges: (1) how can we
image these flows? (2) how do the basal parts of these flows interact with
the bed and can we quantify basal entrainment? (3) how do we model
density-stratified or multiple-layer flows effectively, considering
exchange between the layers? (4) how can we scale-up analogue models to
field-scale in light of recent advances in flow monitoring? (5) what are
the end-member states of density flows, how does a flow transition between
these end member states and can we really infer this from lithofacies
analysis? (6) can we distinguish trigger or initiating processes by deposit
analysis? (7) how do flows evolve as they move away from the source, down
and/or around topography, and what controls this behaviour? (8) how can we
understand the processes of sedimentation from density currents and how
much do deposits reveal about the flow processes?

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/

signoff volcano
to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 9 Jan 2019 to 10 Jan 2019 (#2019-4)