EGU session

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Philippe Jousset <philippe.jousset@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the session â??SM5.1 Advances in
fibre-optic technologies for geophysical applicationsâ?? organized in the
context of the 2019 EGU General Assembly (Wien, Austria, 7-12th April 2019;
https://www.egu2019.eu/).

The use of fibre-optic technologies in geophysical applications is
expanding since few years. There have been significant breakthroughs in
developing highly sensitive sensors and devices to interrogate fibre cables
at very high precision over very large distances. Recent experiments to a
wide variety of geophysical applications both onshore and in submarine
environment have demonstrated the capability of fibre-optic technologies
in: (i) detecting a variety of seismic sources (including ambient noise,
local and teleseismic earthquakes, volcanic events); (ii) monitoring
large-scale engineering infrastructures (dams, tunnels, bridges, pipelines,
boreholes, etc.) and (ii)
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/early-warning-system>early
warning for
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/early-warning-system> natural
hazards (e.g.: landslides and sinkhole formation).

We welcome contributions that involve the application of fibre-optic
sensors or cables in seismology, geodesy, geophysics, natural hazards, from
the laboratory to large-scale field tests.

We kindly invite you to join us sharing your research results. Hoping the
initiative will meet your favour, we look forward to receiving your
contribution at

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/session/31881

The deadline for the abstract submission is 10 January 2019, 13:00 CET

Sincerely yours,

Philippe Jousset, Gilda Currenti, Marc-Andre Gutscher, Shane Murphy,
Luciano Zuccarello

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/