PhD opportunity -- petrogenesis of mafic, plinian eruptions -- Boise State University

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Brittany Brand <brittanybrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

The Magmatic Studies Group within the Boise State University, Department of
Geosciences, seeks a PhD student for a project on the petrogenesis of
mafic, plinian
eruptions.  The project is titled:

*Exploring the Magmatic, Crustal, and Conduit Conditions Required for
Mafic, Plinian Volcanism*

A project summary is included below.

The ideal candidate will have a Masterâ??s Degree or significant
undergraduate research experience in petrology, geochemistry, and/or
volcanology.

This project is NSF-funded, with Research Assistant funding for 3 years.
For a full project description, see summary below. The start date is August
2019.  Applications are due February 1st, 2019.

If you have questions, please contact Dr. Dorsey Wanless (
DWanless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and Dr. Brittany Brand (
brittanybrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

You can find information regarding how to apply here:

https://earth.boisestate.edu/student-resources/admissions/

*Go here to apply:*

https://graduatecollege.boisestate.edu/applying-graduate-college/

*Project Summary:*

*Overview:* Mafic eruptions, which are typically effusive to mildly
explosive, are the most common style of volcanism on Earth. However, mafic
volcanoes can produce much stronger, Plinian-style eruptions, capable of
destructive pyroclastic currents and widespread ash fall. Despite their
potential impact to local infrastructure and global climate, the mechanisms
responsible for generating mafic Plinian eruptions are poorly-constrained.
We propose an interdisciplinary investigation that combines physical
volcanology, geochemistry, petrology, and experimental petrology to explore
the conditions that result in Plinian mafic volcanism. We target the
13.4_ka (~12 km3 DRE) and ~12.6 ka (<1 km3 DRE) mafic eruptions at Volcán
Llaima, which produced extensive ignimbrites found radially around the
volcano. These deposits are chosen for their fresh nature, excellent
exposures, and previous work that provides a strong foundation for our
research objectives. The difference in eruption sizes also permit
investigation of processes that promote large-volume, caldera forming
eruptions versus smaller volume Plinian mafic eruptions.

*Intellectual Merit: *Our geochemical and petrologic work will allow us to
constrain the magmatic and crustal conditions (e.g., pressures; reservoir
heterogeneity) that lead to Plinian mafic eruptions. We will also assess
conduit conditions that promote high explosivity for mafic melts, including
the interplay between ascent rate and vesiculation-crystallization-induced
changes in magma rheology on permeable gas loss. Our study is unique in
that (1) we explore how these processes are similar or different for
large-volume versus smaller-volume mafic, Plinian eruptions, and (2) it is
one of the first studies on mafic Plinian volcanism to implement a full
suite of diverse but complimentary methods to address our research
questions, including petrology, geochemistry, physical volcanology,
decompression experiments, and rheology experiments. Our proposed methods
will also allow us to heuristically define pyroclastic textural
characteristics that represent pre- and post-fragmentation processes (i.e.,
bubble relaxation, microlite growth), which has implications not only for
our work, but for all future work on explosive mafic systems. In summary,
our holistic approach will advance knowledge in the field by providing
better constraints on conditions and relationships that drive such
eruptions, from the reservoir through the conduit.

*Broader Impacts:* Our proposed work will benefit society by allowing us to
better constrain the causes and consequences of mafic Plinian eruptions,
which has global implications for the millions of people living at risk
from mafic volcanic centers. The work will also provide insight into
conditions that resulted in similar styles of volcanism on Mars, a basaltic
planet with a history of explosive volcanism. The involvement of two PhD
students, who will develop a strong collaboration with the research team,
will advance discovery and understanding while promoting teaching,
training, and learning. We will broaden participation of under-represented
groups by (1) involving undergraduate students from the Universidad de
Concepción (Chile) in the field work and research, and (2) facilitating the
collaboration of two early- to mid-career female investigators (Brand and
Wanless). Broad dissemination will include series of blog post and short
videos of our field work that document the key elements of discovery
associated with the project. The materials will be published through the
BSU Blue Review and Focus magazines, Brandâ??s professional Facebook page,
and the BSU magmatic and volcanic studies group Facebook page (combined
Facebook pages have >790 international followers). Also, Wanless, Brand,
and the BSU volcanology students will incorporate samples, stories, images
and videos from our work in Chile into outreach efforts, which average one
to two community outreach events per month (~2400 students per year), and
participation in the annual BSU Science and Engineering day (>1500 visitors
each year).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/

signoff volcano
to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 7 Dec 2018 to 10 Dec 2018 (#2018-126)