EGU 2019 - Monitoring and analysis of volcano-seismic signals: from laboratory analogues to field events (co-organized)

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Marco Fazio <marco_skye@xxxxxxxxxx>

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring to your attention the following session at the next
EGU General Assembly in Vienna (7 - 12 April, 2019):

SM6.2/EMRP1.51/GMPV7.4/NH2.3 - Monitoring and analysis of volcano-seismic
signals: from laboratory analogues to field events (co-organized)

We strongly encourage you to submit an abstract (The abstract submission
deadline is 10 January 2019, 13:00 CET.).

Abstract submission:
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/session/31889

We are looking forward to see you in Vienna!
Marco Fazio, Philip Benson, Peter Rowley

Session description:

Volcanic unrest is often preceded or accompanied by volcano-related seismic
signals. These occur as individual event or form swarms, which eventually
merge into continuous volcanic tremor. Although volcano-seismic signals
have been recorded for almost 50 years, a universally agreed classification
of such signals is still missing. This is due to the fact the source
mechanism behind them is still under debate, particularly for the Long
Period (LP) seismicity where different source models have been proposed
based on both laboratory and field studies. Laboratory studies, in fact,
have successfully simulated shallow volcanic conditions and generated
Acoustic Emissions (AEs) events, which are the laboratory analogue of field
events.
Problems arise also from the monitoring technique, since some of these
signals lack of broadband frequency content or they can be recorded only in
the vicinity of the active craters.
Monitoring and analyzing volcano-seismic signals is crucial to understand
the volcanic processes, as well as to characterize the volcanic fluids
involved. In addition, it has been proved that this seismic activity can be
used to forecast volcanic eruption, even though mostly in hindsight.

Therefore, in this session we aim to shed light upon this topic by bringing
together researchers working on volcano-seismic signals, from the
laboratory to the field scale. We are interested in the analysis of such
events both in time- and in frequency-domain, their reliability in eruption
forecasting models and their seismogenic processes.

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/