Volcanism and Active Geology of the island of Hawai'i (Field-based course through the University of Alaska Fairbanks)

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Jeff Freymueller <jfreymueller@xxxxxxxxxx>

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

If you are a faculty member, please forward this to undergraduates who may
be interested. If you are an undergraduate, read on!

This coming January (Jan 3-12, 2019) we will once again offer the
field-based Wintermester course "Volcanism and Active Geology of the island
of Hawaiâ??iâ??. Topics include physical features of the volcanoes, plate
tectonics and the origin of volcanism, and the development and "life cycle"
of oceanic islands.

There is no substitute for field-based instruction in the geosciences.
Students can learn a tremendous amount even from just a few days in the
field, seeing features and processes with their own eyes, and this results
not only in greater knowledge and insights but also enhanced enthusiasm and
motivation. There is probably no better place in the world to introduce
students to the basic physical features of volcanoes than the island of
Hawai'i, with its active Kilauea and Mauna Loa volcanoes, and we can also
make basic features of plate tectonics and a physical understanding of
plate tectonics, erosion, the age and development of the ocean basins, and
a host of other problems come to life vividly in this setting.

Things have come together late this year for a variety of reasons, mostly
because of the damage to infrastructure caused by the 2018 eruption. But it
is now clear that it will be possible to do the course, although with some
changes as there are stops we have done in the past that can no longer be
accessed, along with new things to see. The situation is changing week by
week as the National Park re-opens things, so be prepared for some changes
to the detailed daily schedule as we get closer to the time of the course.
But the overall dates will remain as shown here.

The course numbers have changed from what you may have seen in the past,
and more details are on the updated website.

http://www.gps.alaska.edu/jeff/Classes/GEOS353.html
http://www.gps.alaska.edu/jeff/Classes/GEOS393.html

We do ask for a short application process for students who are interested,
and youâ??ll need instructor approval to be able to sign up (registration for
Wintermester opens in November). So please contact me (
jfreymueller@xxxxxxxxxx) if you are interested. More details are on the
website. There may be some limitations on the number of students we can
take this year due to availability of lodging, so the earliest applications
will be given priority.

Also note that I have moved to Michigan State University, but will be
organizing and teaching the course this year through UAF.

New address:
Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller
Thomas A. Vogel Endowed Chair for Geology of the Solid Earth
Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Michigan State University

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/