VOLCANO: COV 10 How do you use social media to learn or share information about volcanoes?

From: "Stovall, Wendy" <wstovall@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: COV 10 How do you use social media to learn or share information about volcanoes?

Hello volcano community!

If you are looking for a way to acclimate to Naples prior to the start of COV10, consider registering for our (free) workshop on the ways in which social media is shaping volcanology. https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/w-5/

The format will include a short presentation of panel members then a longer whole group discussion.  We hope participants will come with ideas, questions, and lessons learned (if you have them).

At the end of the workshop, we will fold our notes into a best practices for volcano and hazards specific social media engagement, which will be shared with participants.

Come one, come all!
Ciao,
Wendy

W.5 | Social Media Utility in Volcano and Hazard Communication - Panel Discussion
Date: September 1
Duration: 1 day

Although social media has existed for only a decade, it’s rapidly becoming a de- facto primary news source for many around the globe. We see that news and information about volcanoes and volcanic unrest emanates from diverse sources and travels quickly. However, using social media to disseminate reliable information about volcanoes and their potential hazardous effects can be challenging – non- authoritative sources can undermine the message with inaccurate and outdated information. With the flood of information, how do the authoritative sources remain relevant and heard?

We aim for this forum to be an opportunity for people involved in volcano-related information and hazards communications to sit down together and discuss the utility of social media in our community. The format will include an introduction to the topic with some global statistics, a panel discussion, and an open discussion amongst all who join. The invitation to participate is open to everyone in the volcanology, emergency management and media community. People interested in social media will have the opportunity to meet each other, open lines of communication, and figure out how we can help each other.

The panel will include people who represent various parties that communicate about volcanoes and volcanic hazards, e.g. government organizations, volcano-monitoring outfits, early career volcanlogists, emergency managers, universities, educators, volcano observatories, etc.