VOLCANO: AGU Fall Meeting 2018: V019. Developments in Magma-Water Interaction: Field Work, Experiments, and Computations

From: Ingo Sonder <ingomark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AGU Fall Meeting 2018: V019. Developments in Magma-Water Interaction: Field Work, Experiments, and Computations

Dear colleagues,

In case you start preparing abstracts for the 2018 AGU Fall Meeting, we would like you to take note of our session on magma-water interaction, and consider submitting an abstract to it.

*Sessio ID*: 51835
*Session Title*:  Developments in Magma-Water Interaction: Field Work, Experiments, and Computations
*Section/Focus Group*: Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology

*Conveners*:
Ingo Sonder, Center for GeoHazards Studies, University at Buffalo
Alison Graettinger, University of Missouri Kansas City
Erin Fitch, Hawai'i Institute of Geophysics & Planetology, University of Hawai'i at Manoa
Pranabendu Moitra, Department of Geology, University at Buffalo

*Session Description*:
 Physical processes and associated volcanic eruption styles change significantly when magma meets ground- or surface water. Heat transfer and other interaction processes between the two very different materials, and the intruded host system (host rock or sediment), occur in a wide variety of time- and length scales, and result in a large range of eruption products. The two materials interact in all their states, as magma, lava, liquids, solids, ice, water, or steam. But magma-water interaction is far from understood in its entirety. Key controls that can cause interaction to become explosive are of particular interest, and are an active research topic in field, experimental, and computational investigations. The session brings together specialized and interdisciplinary, observational, experimental, and computational research on all varieties of magma-water interaction. We encourage submissions about research on explosive and non-explosive interactions, magma transport, submarine, planetary, hydrothermal and hazard applications.

We look forward to meet you in Washington, in December,

Best regards,

Ingo, Alison, Erin, Pranabendu