VOLCANO: Ashfall Impacts COV10 Session 2.16 - New Format!

From: "Wallace, Kristi" <kwallace@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Ashfall Impacts COV10 Session 2.16 - New Format!

Dear Ashfall Impact-research enthusiasts,

We want to draw to your attention COV10 Session 2.16 “Volcanic ashfall & gas impacts: existing and future resources in support of preparedness, assessment and mitigation".  The COV organizers are allowing us to experiment with a new format for this session and plan to run it “workshop-style” with the aim of overviewing the state of the science and resources on volcanic ashfall impact seeking to draw upon the broad ash impacts audience while supporting the wide variety of ash impact sessions planned for COV10.

We plan to do this by presenting 4 invited ashfall impacts review talks on 1) gas-acid rain-ash conundrum, 2) infrastructure, 3) society, and 4) agriculture, following by about an hour of highly facilitated discussion where we will invite members of the community (pre-meeting sign up requested) to stand up and talk 1-2 min on what they want to learn, see developed, their struggles, their resources, etc as a way of surveying and learning from the wider community.  This discussion would then be used by the international Ash Impacts Working Group (a commission of CAV) in developing future research and resource directions.

If you have ash-impacts research that you would like to present, please submit to session 2.16 and be part of this exciting new session format that is sure to be novel and interactive.

After abstract submissions are in, we will be soliciting you for your ideas and to participate in the discussion part of this session so be thinking about what you want or need from this community!

Abstract deadline:  extended to May 18 (20:00 Italy time).

We look forward to your submissions and participation,

Session 2.16 Conveners:

Kristi Wallace, U.S. Geological Survey/Alaska Volcano Observatory, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, kwallace@xxxxxxxx

Graham Leonard, GNS Science, Wellington, New Zealand, G.Leonard@xxxxxxxxxx

Carol Stewart, Joint Centre for Disaster Research, Massey University/GNS Science, New Zealand, C.Stewart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx