VOLCANO: Assessing and managing volcanic hazards and risk for critical facilities - Session and Workshop at COV10, Naples

From: antonio costa <antonio.costa@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Assessing and managing volcanic hazards and risk for critical facilities - Session and Workshop at COV10, Naples

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to remind you to contribute and attend to the Session S2.5 and Workshop W.9 at the 10th International Conference “Cities on Volcanoes” to be held in Naples, Italy, on 2-7 September 2018 focussed on "Assessing and managing volcanic hazards and risk for critical facilities":

Session: Critical facilities include hospitals, dams and ports, transportation networks and energy centers such as nuclear power plants. Societies build critical infrastructure with the expectation that it is safe. Is it? Contribute to this session and show how your volcano science can be used to answer this "critical" question. This session will specifically look at how volcano hazard models are, or should be, used to help societies make informed decisions about critical infrastructure.

https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/s2-5/

Workshop: Our four-hour workshop has two goals. First, we plan to discuss the needs for analytical tools and techniques that are necessary to make assessments of volcanic hazards to critical facilities, such as nuclear power plants. Governments and industry plan and develop critical facilities using fairly standardized techniques for evaluating more frequent phenomena, such as floods and earthquakes, but generally lack comparable procedures for volcanic hazards. How can volcano science help? Second, we will showcase tools we have developed to model volcanic hazards for some critical facilities, including tephra fallout, and lava flow models using web interfaces and server-side calculations. Our goal is to discuss how these tools can be  improved and tuned for volcanic hazard evaluation for critical infrastructure. Come to the workshop and contribute to this discussion!

https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/w-9/

Conveners:
Chuck Connor | School of Geosciences, University of South Florida • cbconnor@xxxxxxx
Yoshi Fukushima | International Atomic Energy Agency • Y.Fukushima@xxxxxxxx
Antonio Costa | INGV • antonio.costa@xxxxxxx
Elaine Spiller | University of Marquette • elaine.spiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please see abstract submission details at:

 https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/abstract-submission/

and note that the deadline for abstract submission is May 18 and for workshop registration is June 15.

Hope to see you at the conference,
Antonio, Chuck, Yoshi, and Elaine