VOLCANO: FINAL REMINDER - Call for abstract – Cities on Volcanoes 10 – Session 1.9.

From: Marco Laiolo <marco.laiolo@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: FINAL REMINDER - Call for abstract – Cities on Volcanoes 10 – Session 1.9.

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to contribute with an abstract to session “S1.9. Radon and its progeny in volcanic and hydrothermal areas: degassing, volcano surveillance and health issues”, at the upcoming conference “Cities on Volcanoes 10”(www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com), that will be held in Naples, Italy, from September 2 to 7, 2018. This session is part of the Symposium 1: Multi-disciplinary approaches to improve the understanding of volcano dynamics and hazards

The abstract submission deadline is May 10, 2018.

Session details: https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/s1-9/

TOPIC:

Radon monitoring is an additional tool in volcano monitoring. Radon anomalies appear to be suited to analyze and eventually forecast eruptive episodes since we do know the loci of volcanic eruptions and we can follow the evolution of volcanic activity. Radon mapping, crosschecked with its carrier CO2, further improve our knowledge on degassing processes in volcanic and geothermal areas. Due to its radioactive nature, radon concentrations need to be assessed for environmental and public health purposes.

This session is seeking contributions addressed on the application of radon measurements techniques in volcanic areas, focused in better understanding volcano dynamics, surveillance methods and environmental monitoring. The application of novel methods and instrumentation in this field is specifically encouraged.

Thank you and looking forward to see you in Naples,

Sincerely,

The Conveners

Corrado Cigolini - Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra, Università degli Studi di Torino - corrado.cigolini@xxxxxxxx

Catarina Paula Pacheco da Silva - IVAR Research Institute for Volcanology and Risk Assessment (Portugal) - Catarina.PP.Silva@xxxxxxxxxx.pt