VOLCANO: Invitation to CoV10 Session 3.11: volcanic ecosystems and human societies

From: Natalia Pardo Villaveces <n.pardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Invitation to CoV10 Session 3.11: volcanic ecosystems and human societies

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the session "Holocene records of volcanic activity and its effects on ecosystems and human societies", which will be carried out at the Cities on Volcanoes 10 Meeting, to be held in Naples-Italy, between September 2 and 7 of 2018.

This session is organized by Catalina González (palaeoecologist), Sonia Archila (archaeologist) and Natalia Pardo (volcanologist) from the University of Los Andes at Bogotá, Colombia. We are part of a multidisciplinary team that has been working on the interactions between volcanoes, people and landscapes in the northern Andes at different time-space scales, with emphasis on the last 6000 years. It would be great if you join us to discuss together about what can we learn from the paleoecological and arcaheological records concerning volcanic eruptions, and what can we learn from coexisting ecosystems and societies with active volcanoes in the past.

Please read the session description below for more information.

Looking forward to meet you there!

Catalina, Sonia & Natalia

www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com

Deadline for abstract submission:  May 10, 2018

Session S3.11: Holocene records of volcanic activity and its effects on ecosystems and human societies.

For this session we invite to submit examples of the interrelationship between volcanic activity, landscape, ecosystems dynamics and human occupation during the Holocene, as seen through paleoecological, archaeological, and sedimentological records. We open the discussion of volcanism as a dynamic force that constructs/deconstructs landscapes, soils, and ecosystems and ultimately has a profound impact on the dynamics of human societies coexisting with volcanoes. We search for examples in the long term of volcanic activity not only seen as catastrophic short-term events disrupting human and natural systems, but also as part of the supporting system that sustains diversity and resilience.

 Related Themes:

·      Paleoecological evidence of volcanic activity

·      Resilience and natural succession

·      Charcoal data and the role of fire

·      Meaning of Radiocarbon ages

·      Archaeological evidence  in volcanic successions

·      Volcanic soils

·      Volcanic ashes and fossil preservation