VOLCANO: Cities on Volcanoes 10: Call for Submissions for the VolcanOscars!

From: "Jenni Barclay (ENV - Staff)" <J.Barclay@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Cities on Volcanoes 10: Call for Submissions for the VolcanOscars!

VolcanOscars

Cities on Volcanoes 10

Films can be a memorable way of raising awareness, educating or simply sharing the joys of volcanoes and volcanology. As technology advances researchers are finding increasingly creative ways to produce and share these films, abetted by the proliferation of distribution platforms. This session aims to celebrate that creativity and share ideas as well as our love and fascination for volcanoes and volcanic phenomena.

Date: likely evening September 6th 2018

Where: Conference Center Mostra d’Oltremare

Would you like to submit a film?

Call for submissions of short films for Cities on Volcanoes 10 ‘VolcanOscars’! With many of us heading into the field over the coming months now is a good time to ask for film submissions so you can think about creating some volcano movie magic!

If you have produced a short film (< 10 minutes) on a volcano-related topic, we welcome your submission. You can enter your film in one of three categories:

  1. films created or edited  in collaboration with professional film-makers
  2. films created or edited by scientists/researchers
  3. films created and edited by early-career researchers (up to 5 years post-PhD Award).

Deadline for submission is the 15th August 2018.

The winners of each category will be decided via public vote during the Festival Session and will be announced at the Closing Ceremony.

How to apply:

  1. Send your film via a file transfer service such as wetransfer or mailbigfile to Dr Anna Hicks at the British Geological Survey: ahicks@xxxxxxxxx Please name your file in way that easily allows us to link the film to your submission details below (e.g. surname_name of film).

  2. Submit your film details here: https://goo.gl/forms/KSVX662otGORCrlq1

  3. Terms and Conditions
  • Films should have been produced in the last 5 years.
  • The preferred length is under 10 minutes, but longer films will be considered depending on how many films we receive!
  • Please could you submit films in digital format (H.264, mp4, AVI, etc).
  • If numbers of film submissions exceeds the time we have available for the event, preference will be given to producers/members of the production team who are attending the conference.

    Hosts: Jenni Barclay (UEA); Anna Hicks (BGS); Micol Todesco (INGV) and Mary Anne Thompson (U. Auckland). Although full gender representation among the hosts is not so good, we promise not to discriminate in line with the #meToo movement.

Thank you !