VOLCANO: CoV10 Special Session: Agung

From: "Wellik, John" <jwellik@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: CoV10 Special Session: Agung

Dear Volcano list serve,

I would like to bring to your attention a special session at Cities on Volcanoes 10 about the recent volcanic activity at Mt. Agung, Bali, Indonesia. The session description is pasted below. The link to the session on the CoV10 website is here: https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/s2-17/

We look forward to your abstract submissions as well as your attendance in Italy.

Thank you,

Jay Wellik

CONVENERS:
Kasbani | Center for volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation • kas_bani@xxxxxxxxm
Devy Kamil Syahbana |Center for volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation • devy.syahbana@gmail.com
Jay Wellik | USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory-Volcano Disaster Assistance Program • jwellik@xxxxxxxx
Heather Wright | USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory-Volcano Disaster Assistance Program • hwright@xxxxxxxx

Fifty-plus years after the devastating eruption of 1963, Mount Agung awoke in mid-2017 with an alarming distal volcano-tectonic swarm that eventually led to a magmatic eruption. Eruptive activity included rapid lava effusion and several explosive ash plumes reaching >20,000 ft. Precursory seismic swarms and eruptive activity led to evacuations of x civilians, cancelled flights at regional airports, and resulted in ~ US$800 million in economic loss. Prior to and during the eruption, Indonesia’s Center for Volcanology and Geologic Hazard Mitigation monitored the activity with continuous seismic and GPS as well as campaign drone and ground-based gas measurements. In this special session, we seek to provide a clear overview of volcanic activity at Agung, highlight specific observations of monitoring data (seismic, GPS, SAR, gas, and visual observations) during the course of the crisis, present a conceptual model for activity at the volcano, and present hazard communication challenges and successes on Bali. We seek contributions from those with first-hand experience during the crisis and any community member who has provided equipment or processed monitoring data during the crisis.