VOLCANO: Santiaguito at 100 - Announcement of Special Volume

From: Adrian Hornby <adrian.hornby@xxxxxxx-muenchen.de>
Subject: Santiaguito at 100 - Announcement of Special Volume

Dear all,

We are soliciting contributions for a special edition of the Active Volcanoes of the World book series to mark Santiaguito’s centennial.

Volcanic activity at the Santiaguito volcanic complex, Guatemala, began in 1922 within the collapse scar created following the Plinian eruption of Santa Maria volcano in 1902, one of the largest eruptions of the 20th Century. We are approaching the 100th anniversary of a remarkable record of continuous eruptive activity, characterised by dome-building concurrent with dacitic lava flow effusion and Vulcanian explosions across a fault-controlled dome complex. The spectacular birds-eye view afforded from the summit of Santa Maria volcano to the active Caliente dome has provided exceptional opportunities to monitor the dome surface during explosive and effusive activity, providing exceptional insights to the dynamics of plugged, open-vent dome volcanoes. The broad range of activity, structures and textures witnessed at the Santiaguito dome complex have informed and advanced our understanding of dome volcanoes and long-lived eruptions.

Early studies include seminal mapping and description of pyroclastic flows generated by lava flow-collapse, while in recent years the synthesis of multidisciplinary data has produced novel insights into the dynamics of long-lived dome eruptions. The remarkably stable activity of the past few decades has recently been perturbed, resulting in unusual vent-clearing explosions and a hiatus in effusion, providing a renewed impetus for study and the potential for further groundbreaking research at Santiaguito after 100 years of continuous activity.

We have solicited authors for a range of topics listed below, but we would also like to invite contributions from across the community. Contributions can be focused on all disciplines including those not currently listed, and we may ask whether contributors would like to lead a new chapter. In addition, if you are interested in leading a chapter on petrology and/or geochemistry at Santiaguito, we are keen to hear from you.

At present, we have the following chapter themes, but please note that chapter titles and focus are at the lead author(s) discretion.

-       Foreword – Santiaguito at 100

-       Introduction

-       Tectonics and regional setting

-       Eruptive chronology

-       Hazards and monitoring

-       Mapping and structural evolution

-       Dome rheology and mechanics

-       Geochemistry and petrology

-       Seismology

-       Ground-based remote sensing

-       Satellite-based remote sensing

-       Ash and tephra

-       Multidisciplinary monitoring

Please email Adrian and Jeffrey with expressions of interest or for further information.

Best regards

Adrian Hornby – a.hornby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeffrey Johnson – jeffreybjohnson@boisestate.edu

About the book series:

About 500 active volcanoes presently exist on the Earth’s surface, of which around 50 erupt each year. Volcanoes played a crucial role in the evolution of the planet and early life, and are constantly reshaping the morphology of Planet Earth. Many active volcanoes are located in dense settlement areas, with over 500 million people living in close proximity of still active or dormant volcanoes.

On one side, volcanoes provide valuable soil and rock basis for agriculture, but often the "mountains of fire" cause disastrous societal and economical disasters caused by ash clouds, lahars, lava flows, and pyroclastic flows. Eruptions are still difficult to predict, although volcanologists around the world are constantly working on new ways to understand the character and behavior of volcanoes.

The new book series 'Active Volcanoes of the World' aims to be a scientific library of monographs that provide authoritative and detailed reviews of state-of-the art research on individual volcanoes or a volcanic area that has been active in the last 10.000 years. The books in the series cover the geology, eruptive history, petrology and geochemistry, volcano monitoring, risk assessment and mitigation, volcano and society, and specific aspects related to the nature of each described volcano.