VOLCANO: Boston Goldschmidt workshop: Magma Chamber Simulator

From: Wendy Bohrson <bohrson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Boston Goldschmidt workshop: Magma Chamber Simulator

Magma Chamber Simulator Workshop

Goldschmidt 2018 Boston, Massachusetts

August 11 and 12, 2018

Conveners: Wendy Bohrson, Central Washington University (bohrson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Frank Spera, University of California Santa Barbara (spera@xxxxxxxx), Jussi Heinonen, University of Helsinki (jussi.s.heinonen@xxxxxxxxxxx)

Please join us for a two-day workshop on the Magma Chamber Simulator (MCS) on August 11 and 12.

The Magma Chamber Simulator is an energy- and mass-constrained computer code (Bohrson et al. 2014) that simultaneously models recharge/magma mixing, crustal assimilation and crystal fractionation (RAFC). For a crustal magma body, MCS tracks the thermal, mass, and compositional (major and trace element, isotope, and phase equilibria) evolution as magma undergoes RAFC.

During the first day of this workshop, participants will do hands-on activities that will familiarize them with running (e.g., input, steps to run code) the Magma Chamber Simulator (major and trace elements, radiogenic isotopes, and phase equilibria), and archiving and effectively utilizing output. The second day will involve modelling specific scenarios (e.g., RAFC, AFC, RFC) so participants can develop an understanding of how to effectively model their own data. Small group or one-on-one training will be available.

We welcome petrologists at all levels: students, early career professionals and middle and later career professionals too! With training in this two-day workshop, students (undergraduate and graduate students) can master the use of the code. MCS can also be used in the classroom or lab, so we welcome those who are interested in integrating MCS into their petrology/geochemistry classes.

If you have already taken an MCS workshop, please consider joining us in Boston for additional training; we will provide separate training to experienced users who wish to get feedback on specific questions/modelling challenges and/or who would like to learn how to implement the trace element/isotope module of MCS.

For more information, please go to: http://mcs.geol.ucsb.edu/. This web site has more information about the Magma Chamber Simulator, the MCS team, and a link to the Journal of Petrology site where Bohrson et al. can be found.

To register for the MCS short course, please go to the Goldschmidt conference website:  https://goldschmidt.info/2018/

We welcome your questions; please email one of us.

We hope to see you in Boston!

Best regards,

Wendy, Frank, and Jussi