VOLCANO: Call for abstract – Cities on Volcanoes 10 – Session 1.10: Eruptive Patterns

From: Diego Coppola <diego.coppola@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Call for abstract – Cities on Volcanoes 10 – Session 1.10: Eruptive Patterns

Dear Colleagues,

We cordially invite all scientists, young researchers and students being active or interested in characterization and analysis of eruptive pattern to submit an abstract to our session at the Cities on Volcanoes 10 Meeting, which will be held in Naples, Italy, September 2-7 2018:

Session S 1.10 - Characterization and analysis of eruptive patterns

Symposium 1 - Multi-disciplinary approaches to improve the understanding of volcano dynamics and hazards

Some evident eruptive patterns characterize the evolution and variability of several parameters during a volcanic eruption. These include variations in lava effusion rates, gas flux, ground deformation, seismicity as well as any temporal change in the properties of the magma-chamber-conduit system. Monitoring, analyzing and modelling these patterns during an eruption is fundamental to understand the ongoing eruptive dynamics and to evaluate current hazards and future scenarios. In this session, we would like to put together evidence of increasing, decreasing, stationary, cyclic, or more complex eruptive activity, collected worldwide during past eruptions. We encourage contributions focused on the recognition, classification and modelling of these eruptive patterns by using single parameter or multi-parametric approaches. The combination of ground- and satellite-based measurements is welcome, with special emphasis to the correlation between endogenous processes, occurring inside the magma chamber, and eruptive phenomena, observed at the vent.  Finally, we wish to stimulate a discussion on the role of pattern analysis in forecasting the development and the end of eruptive crises.

Please submit your abstract for oral or poster presentation by 10 May 2018 at: https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/

For further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you and looking forward to see you in Naples,

Sincerely,

The Conveners

Diego Coppola - Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra, Università di Torino (IT) - diego.coppola@xxxxxxxx

Antonio Costa - Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia – Sezione di Bologna (IT) - antonio.costa@xxxxxxx