VOLCANO: COV10 - Social Media Session & Pre-Conference Workshop/Panel Discussion

From: "Stovall, Wendy" <wstovall@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: COV10 - Social Media Session & Pre-Conference Workshop/Panel Discussion

Hello community,

Do you use social media to learn or communicate about volcanoes?
Great - we need your voice!

Please consider attending our day-long pre-conference workshop/panel discussion and submitting an abstract to our session at the Cities on Volcanoes conference held in Naples (Italy) 1-7 September, 2018.  The abstract submission period is 10 Feb - 10 May

W.5 | Social Media Utility in Volcano and Hazard Communication - Panel Discussion (Saturday, 1 September 2018, 1 day)

Although social media has existed for only a decade, it’s rapidly becoming a defacto primary news source for many around the globe. We see that news and information about volcanoes and volcanic unrest emanates from diverse sources and travels quickly. However, using social media to disseminate reliable information about volcanoes and their potential hazardous effects can be challenging - nonauthoritative sources can undermine the message with inaccurate and outdated information. With the flood of information, how do the authoritative sources remain relevant and heard?

We aim for this forum to be an opportunity for people involved in volcano-related information and hazards communications to sit down together and discuss the utility of social media in our community. The format will include an introduction to the topic with some global statistics, a panel discussion, and an open discussion amongst all who join. The invitation to participate is open to everyone in the volcanology, emergency management, and media community. People interested in social media will have the opportunity to meet each other, open lines of communication, and figure out how we can help each other.

The panel will include people who represent various parties that communicate about volcanoes and volcanic hazards, e.g. government organizations, volcano-monitoring outfits, early career volcanologists, emergency managers, universities, educators, volcano observatories, etc.

S3.18 | Leveraging the Power and Speed of Social Media to Expand Volcano Communication

Social media channels, such as Facebook and Twitter, are increasingly important in delivering real-time information and generating public interest in volcanoes and volcanic hazards. Volcano-related researchers and organizations use social media as their own news channel to control the message and timing of information release; followers share the information broadly, amplifying the message of a trusted source. Traditional media also plays a role by publishing long-form news articles and posting information on their own social media accounts. Additionally there’s a growing trend for traditional media to quote scientists’ social media posts within website articles, in lieu of conducting standard question-and-answer interviews.

However, using social media to disseminate reliable information about volcanoes and their potential hazards can be challenging. Within the social media realm, news and information about volcanic unrest emanates from diverse sources and travels quickly. Non-authoritative sources can undermine the message with inaccurate and outdated information, and opinion may masquerade as fact. With the flood of information, how do the authoritative sources rise above the chatter to remain relevant and heard?

In this session, we will highlight effective practices for volcano observatories, public agencies, emergency managers, media officers, science communicators, and researchers to use when distributing volcano information via social media. We encourage submissions highlighting examples of compelling uses of social media in volcano/volcanic hazard communication and/or challenges faced in expanding the role of social media to communicate volcano hazards.

Thank you for considering our workshop and session in your meeting planning efforts.

Wendy K. Stovall (USGS) wstovall@xxxxxxxx

Janine Krippner jkrippner@xxxxxxxxx

Micol Todesco (INGV) micol.todesco@xxxxxxx

Nico Fournier (GNS) n.fournier@xxxxxxxxxx