VOLCANO: EGU 2018 Session "Volcanic Ash"

From: "Hoshyaripour, Gholamali (IMK)" <gholamali.hoshyaripour@xxxxxxu>
Subject: EGU 2018 Session "Volcanic Ash"

Dear all,

We invite you to submit your abstracts to the session “Volcanic Ash – Generation, Transport, Impacts and Applications” at EGU General Assembly (8-13 April 2018, Vienna).

This session is a joint AGU-EGU session that focuses on volcanic ash (generation, atmospheric transport, processing and impacts, deposition on land and ocean, hazards and environmental impcats). This session intends to bring together the modeling, experimantal, observational and field studies on volcanic ash from all geoscience disciplines. Please find the details below this email.

The deadline to submit abstracts is 10 January 2018. For further info please feel free to contact me.

Best,

Ali

---

Session description:

GMPV6.1/AS3.32/CL5.22/NH2.7

Volcanic Ash – Generation, Transport, Impacts and Applications (co-organized)

Convener: Ali Hoshyaripour
Co-Conveners: Britta Jensen , Ulrich Kueppers , Elena Maters , Gill Plunkett , Peter Webley

Invited Speaker (confirmed): Costanza Bonadonna, University of Geneva, Switzerland

Volcanic ash has short- and long-term impacts on the environment and also poses severe hazards to human health, infrastructure, and aviation. Hence, investigating its life cycle from generation to preservation in the geologic record is important to our understanding of eruption hazards and broader interactions with the climate, environment and society. This session brings together interdisciplinary studies on ash-producing eruptions, from particle-scale interactions to global-scale transport, remote sensing of volcanic emissions, numerical modeling of plume dynamics, heterogeneous gas/aerosol-ash interactions, forecasting of airborne concentrations and hazards, and the long-ranging direct and indirect impacts of ash on the atmosphere, hydrosphere, ecosystems, agriculture and human health. We welcome perspectives from volcanology, atmospheric sciences, geochemistry, geophysics, biogeochemistry, palaeoecology, applied tephrochronology and archaeology.