VOLCANO: AGU 2017 Session: Crystal, Melt, and Fluid Inclusions

From: "Befus, Kenny" <Kenneth_Befus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AGU 2017 Session: Crystal, Melt, and Fluid Inclusions

Hi VGP colleagues,

Crystal, Melt, and Fluid inclusions are great sources of geologic information. So great, in fact, that there are 4 sessions about inclusions at AGU this fall.

   + Spectroscopic analyses of mineral inclusions for petrologic investigations   (https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session28904)

   + Earth’s volatiles fluxes preserved in fluid and melt inclusions   (https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session25077)

   + Microscale archives of macroscale igneous processes   (https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session24404)

   + What can inclusions tell us?*   (This one is ours https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session26222

All of those sessions sound great. Clearly inclusions provide a cutting edge method to understand magmatic, metamorphic, and mantle processes.  In all likelihood, these individual sessions will be combined to form the Inclusion Super Session. What a session that could be!

So, submit to our session or one of those 3 others listed above. We are excited to learn about your inclusion research regardless of what you choose. We, the Inclusion Scientists of Earth, must be an ever-inclusive inclusion community after all.

Best wishes,

Kristina Walowski and Kenny Befus

Session Title: What can inclusions tell us?*
Session Description (ID#26222)

Crystal, melt, and fluid inclusions preserve a record of the P-T-X conditions of the geologic environment at the time of entrapment. Inclusions thus provide fundamental constraints on variables that control the physical and chemical evolution of the Earth, from the deep interior to the shallow crust. While pristine inclusions provide unique snapshots of geologic events, recent advances in analytical and computational techniques now allow non-pristine inclusions to also be used to quantify processes. These modified inclusions specifically offer opportunities to calculate timescales of diffusive equilibration or characterize crystal defects in the host phase. In this all-inclusive inclusion session, we seek submissions that investigate the geologic significance of crystal, melt, and fluid inclusions using high-resolution analytical techniques (Raman, FTIR, and mass spectrometry), experiments, and modeling.

*our initial title was “What can inclusions tell us? Certainly more than pyroclasts.” That title was modified from its original version by AGU because they recognized our 'friendly' dig at the nerds in the volcano science community.