VOLCANO: Post-IAVCEI 2017 workshop: A4 - Saturday August 19, 2017

From: Peter Webley <pwwebley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Post-IAVCEI 2017 workshop: A4 - Saturday August 19, 2017

Dear All,

We are pleased to announce and invite you to register for and attend our post-meeting workshop "Modeling and Uncertainty Analysis Using Computing and Data Workflows on the Vhub Platform – applications to mass flow models" on August 19, 2017, the Saturday after IAVCEI.

Overview

The use of online simulation tools on the Vhub platform is now well accepted in the volcanological community. While the ability to perform single simulations online is useful, greater value is derived when we can support complete workflows that combine, for instance, an ensemble of simulations in a validation or uncertainty quantification workflow for probabilistic calculations. The Vhub platform supports the use of such workflows using the Pegasus workflow tool. Using the TITAN v 4.0 release (with support for multiple models, multi-core computer architectures and many other advanced features), and some pre-constructed workflows for generation of probabilistic hazard maps, we will illustrate how this new functionality can dramatically improve model usage and analysis time. Time permitting, we will also illustrate a more complex volcanic ash transport analysis workflow.

Costs

$85

For more information on requirements of attendees and registration visit our IAVCEI 2017 website at http://iavcei2017.org/postA_4.html

Looking forward to seeing you all at the workshop and in Portland.

Peter Webley, University of Alaska Fairbanks

[On behalf of the additional workshop conveners: Abani Patra, Marcus Bursik, E. Bruce Pitman, and Greg Valentine]