VOLCANO: IAVCEI Field Trip C3

From: "Geist, Dennis (dgeist@xxxxxxxxxx)" <dgeist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IAVCEI Field Trip C3

IAVCEI Field Trip C3 “A Volcanic Transect of the Pacific Northwest”

IAVCEI Field Trip C3 “A Volcanic Transect of the Pacific Northwest” is designed to give the participants a broad overview of the diverse volcanic phenomena of the region, rather than showcasing  a single volcano or the leaders’ research. The trip is designed for people unfamiliar with the region, especially including students and international scientists. The trip is post-meeting, from August 19-22.

Day 1 will focus on the Columbia River flood basalts in the Columbia River Gorge.

Day 2 is devoted to large-volume ignimbrites, basaltic lavas, and hydrovolcanoes of the High Lava Plains in eastern Oregon.

On Day 3, we will circumnavigate the Crater Lake caldera. On the last day we will visit Newberry Caldera before returning to Portland. We should be positioned well for viewing the solar eclipse.

Leaders are Dennis Geist (University of Idaho and NSF), John Wolff (Washington State University), and Karen Harpp (Colgate University). Enrollment requires registration for the meeting, and there is a maximum of 27 participants.

Contact dgeist@xxxxxxxxxx if you have any questions.