VOLCANO: Announcement about an IAVCEI field trip

From: "Fierstein, Judith" <jfierstn@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Listserv announcement

Field trip leaders Wes Hildreth and Judy Fierstein invite you to join us on a field trip to Long Valley and the Mammoth Mountain area in the spectacular Eastern Sierra Nevada in California, August 8-13, 2017.  This is a pre-meeting field trip associated with the Portland IAVCEI 2017 Scientific Assembly. We’ll be lodging at the foot of the frontal scarp of the Sierra Nevada, which exposes a complete Paleozoic sedimentary sequence standing on-end, situated near the margin of the Long Valley caldera. We will examine the iconic Bishop Tuff and all postcaldera volcanism in and near Long Valley, we’ll look at how the Owens River was reincised after the caldera-forming event instantly changed the entire drainage system in the area, and we’ll look at the post-caldera Early Rhyolites and associated resurgent uplift, and how the lavas and paleoshorelines can help unravel regional tectonic history.

Hope to see you there!

Sign up on the IAVCEI 2017 website by May 1st  (Note the early deadline).

Thanks,

Judy Fierstein and Wes Hildreth