VOLCANO: IAVCEI session III.1 Forecasting Volcanic Eruptions

From: Sarah Ogburn <sogburn@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: IAVCEI session III.1 Forecasting Volcanic Eruptions

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of our co-conveners, we invite you to submit an abstract to our session, III.1 Forecasting Volcanic Eruptions http://iavcei2017.org/ses_III1.html at the 2017 IAVCEI Meeting in Portland (USA), 14-18 August 2017.

Our session seeks contributions that address eruption forecasting during volcanic crises, especially those that include changes in eruptive style or magnitude. These might include case-studies of eruption forecasts during crises, including successes and failures; multi-disciplinary forecasting methods, including the use of monitoring data, petrologic data, and/or modelling to forecast the size and style of eruptions; and ways to integrate local and global data into forecasts.

We especially seek contributions from volcano observatories, and we will have several invited talks from international volcano observatory staff.

The deadline to submit an abstract is 17 March 2017, which you can do here: http://iavcei2017.org/abstract.html

See you in Portland,

Sarah Ogburn and co-conveners

Sarah Ogburn, USGS/USAID Volcano Disaster Assistance Program
Mike Cassidy, University of Oxford, UK
Nicole Bobrowski, University of Mainz, Germany
Jonathan M. Castro, University of Mainz, Germany
Susanna Ebmeier, University of Leeds, UK
Chris Harpel, USGS/USAID Volcano Disaster Assistance Program
Wendy McCausland, USGS/USAID Volcano Disaster Assistance Program
Jürgen Neuberg, University of Leeds, UK
John Pallister, USGS/USAID Volcano Disaster Assistance Program
Jeremy Pesicek, USGS/USAID Volcano Disaster Assistance Program
Jay Wellik, USGS/USAID Volcano Disaster Assistance Program
Heather Wright, USGS/USAID Volcano Disaster Assistance Program