VOLCANO: IAVCEI Session Reminder VII.1 Managing Volcanic Risk in Developing Countries

From: Erouscilla Joseph <pjoseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IAVCEI Session Reminder VII.1 Managing Volcanic Risk in Developing Countries

We remind you of our invitation to submit your abstract to our IAVCEI session
VII.1 Managing Volcanic Risk in Developing Countries: Benefits from Community-Based Risk Strategies.

Many active volcanic zones are located within developing countries and recent periods of intense activity have had marked effects on national infrastructure and local communities. Whilst the geological evidence may be evidence to the scientist, community may not have the ability to recognise the evidence and effects of past activity. How then, can the communities’ best position themselves to cope with future volcanic disasters, and increase their resilience? Whilst national strategies are important, community-based disaster risk reduction (CBDRR) leads to a locally owned' and appropriate strategy for disaster preparedness and risk reduction. Citizen science is a CBDRR approach which involves volunteers in progressing scientific investigations. Involving citizens at risk in volcano monitoring or research activities has the potential to not only generate an understanding of scientific knowledge, but also to develop resilience within affected communities since the people are more knowledgeable about the hazards. In volcanic environments, scientific researchers use a diverse number of methods to study active volcanoes and a growing number of examples involve local stakeholders and the public in collecting data, sampling volcanic products and reporting observations.

We invite contributions that outline work that has been done, or is being undertaken in developing countries using a CBDRR approach. Submissions from the SW Pacific South, Central and South America and the Caribbean are particularly encouraged. Papers could include studies of individual volcanic systems and their activity, the status of the risk strategies within developing regions and volcanic hazard risk solutions that could be used to reduce the vulnerability  to communities. Illustrations of how local people are employing the data, applying it for education, personal safety issues, community land-use and growth management issues, embracing it within their communities, and the lessons learnt from these experiences are all strongly encouraged. Contributions from those that use it as a tool for promoting volcanic hazard education, enhancing communication between geoscientists, or that aim to empower citizens at risk to act to reduce their own risk are also welcome.

We also encourage presentations highlighting the use of traditional knowledge, stories, and passed down wisdom in the communication of risk and hazard. Ways in which interest in volcanic risk is maintained among local communities, even when there has not been any recent volcanic activity; and how complex processes and/or practices are communicated to the Citizen Scientist are also welcomed.

The deadline for abstract submission is March 17, 2017. Please submit your abstracts following the instructions available here: https://www.eiseverywhere.com/eSites/218996/Homepage.

We are looking forward to receiving your contributions and to seeing you in Portland, Oregon, during August 14-18

Conveners:
Erouscilla Joseph, The UWI Seismic Research Centre, St. Augustine, Trinidad; pjoseph@uwiseismic.com
Paul Taylor, Disaster Reduction Programme, Geoscience Division, Pacific Community, Suva, FIJI; pault@xxxxxxx
Michael Petterson, Geoscience Division, Pacific Community, Suva, FIJI; michaelp@xxxxxxx