VOLCANO: Statement from IAVCEI 2017 local planning committee

From: Martin Streck <streckm@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Statement from IAVCEI 2017 local planning committee

The recent executive order by the U.S. administration, presently stayed by the judiciary branch, regarding travel restrictions to the U.S. by residents from certain countries has shaken the scientific community. In response, there are nascent movements calling for boycotts of all scientific meetings held in the U.S. Recently, the IAVCEI Executive Committee has released a statement on this matter. The local planning committee for the IAVCEI 2017 Scientific Assembly wishes to make it abundantly clear that we fully support all communities and embrace participation by all in the upcoming quadrennial assembly. We believe that any restrictions on attendance are a detriment to not only free and open scientific exchange but to the health of the scientific enterprise. We understand and empathize with the passionate feelings of colleagues who may decide to boycott the assembly as a protest. For those who decide to attend, the Portland planning committee is committed to hosting a vibrant, meaningful, and inclusive meeting. We look forward to hosting our science community, and especially our community members from abroad.

We remind those who wish to participate that the abstract submission deadline is March 17.

IAVCEI 2017 local planning committee,

Martin Streck

Jon Major

Shan de Silva