VOLCANO: Statement from IAVCEI EC for the 2017 Portland meeting

From: roberto.sulpizio@uniba.it
Subject: Statement from IAVCEI EC for the 2017 Portland meeting

Dear IAVCEI2017 Community,

Science is a global enterprise. Nowhere is this more true than in Volcanology. IAVCEI is committed to supporting international fora for the open exchange of ideas and information. Such events benefit enormously from the diversity of backgrounds, scientific ideas, and approaches of our global membership.

One such event is the IAVCEI2017 Scientific Assembly, to be held in Portland, Oregon (USA) in August 2017.

Some are concerned that the events of the past few weeks and, in particular, the Executive Order of the 27th of January, although temporary and currently under challenge, may have a negative impact on the ability of some of our colleagues to enter the United States. We are further concerned that scientists may decide to boycott science meetings in the U.S. as a protest.

We therefore call on our colleagues to demonstrate the internationality of science and the irrelevance of borders to volcanology by attending and participating to the fullest extent possible in the IAVCEI2017 conference. Your presence at Portland will be a strong confirmation of our goals.

We promise to be prompt in providing to our scientific colleagues, letters of invitation and other documents that may be needed to help obtain US entry visas for attendance at Portland.