VOLCANO: Frontiers Research Topic: Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in the Earth’s Lithosphere

From: Mattia Pistone <mattia.pistone@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Frontiers Research Topic: Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in the Earth’s Lithosphere

Dear colleagues,

We are soliciting contributions for the upcoming Frontiers Research Topic entitled as "Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in the Earth’s Lithosphere". We propose an open access volume/book in Frontiers in Earth Sciences aimed at focusing on when, where and for how long magmas are stored within the Earth and how they contribute to the chemical, physical and thermal architecture of the Earth's lithosphere.

To unravel the architecture and dynamics (magma transport, emplacement, storage, and fluxes) of the Earth’s lithosphere, we wish to answer such fundamental questions:

(i) How do we detect magmatic bodies, and determine their volume and geometry?
(ii) how can we quantify chemical, mechanical and thermal processes that operate within magmatic plutons, reservoirs, chambers, dykes, and volcanic systems?
(iii) How can we determine the frequency of magma injections/pulses and melt extraction events? How can we link magma injections with volcanic eruptions?
(iv) How do we read the record preserved in minerals, glasses, and melts, or in volatile emissions to constrain the timescales and location of magmatic processes?

With the proposal of such a Research Topic, we hope to encourage cross-disciplinary interactions and collaborations between researchers, especially field geologists, geochemists, petrologists, geophysicists, geochronologists, isotope geologists, and rock physicists who utilise field, numerical, and experimental methods to tackle the above-mentioned questions.

What you need to know:

Benefits to authors of publishing in a Research Topic include:

- Rapid publication: average time from submission to publication is 90 days
- No embargo period: papers are published immediately upon acceptance (minimum two reviewers' endorsements required after rigorous review process)
- High visibility: articles in Research Topics receive more views, downloads and citations than regular articles. Articles will be compiled into an e-book upon completion for further dissemination
- Full-length research papers incur costs US$1900, which are reduced by 15% discount within Research Topic submissions (consult table of fees available at frontiersin.org/about/publishing-fees). Full and partial fee waivers available, dependent on funding status. If your institution has agreements with the publisher Frontiers, no fees are applied (ask your library for more information!)

Once the publication of the whole Research Topic is out in 2018, the Research Topic will be part of the Frontiers Spotlight Award competition announced for 2018 (if the Research Topic is completed in 2017) or the next one for 2019-2020. The winning Research Topic will receive an award of US$ 100,000, which will allow the winning team of Topic Editors to organize an international scientific conference around their Research Topic the year after the delivery award.

What we need from you:

- send the following informa
tion to Mattia.Pistone@xxxxxxx as soon as possible: email, position title, first name, last name, and contribution title. Such information will allow us to list you as potential author of a contribution to the Frontiers Research Topic
- submit your abstract prior to 1st March 2017
- submit your manuscript prior to 1st September 2017

Full details can be found at the following link: frontiersin.org/earth-science

We truly hope that you can accept our invitation. Do not hesitate to contact us for further clarification. Please, spread such an advert to your students and collaborators. If you wish to contribute to the proposed Research Topic, please return the required information (email, position title, first name, last name, and contribution title) to our reference address (Mattia.Pistone@xxxxxxx) as soon as possible.

Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Best,

Mattia, Benoît, Kate, Olivier