VOLCANO: JpGU-AGU 2017: S-VC45 Wet Volcanology

From: yosuke aoki <yaoki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: JpGU-AGU 2017: S-VC45 Wet Volcanology

Dear Colleagues,

We will have an international session "Wet volcanology" in JpGU-AGU joint meeting 2017. Although the session title includes "wet", we would like to have presentations in a wide range of scopes. We very much welcome your submission of abstracts. The submission is due on 3 February for an early-bird submission (cheaper) and 16 February for a regular submission.

Best Regards,
Atsuko, Michael, and Yosuke

S-VC45    Wet volcanology

Convener: Atsuko Namiki, Yosuke Aoki, Michael Manga

Invited speakers: Dr. Bettina Scheu (LMU), Dr. Francesco Grigoli (ETH)

Scope:

Sudden expansion of volatiles (mainly water) is an important process of volcanic eruptions. Vaporization of external water enhances the potential of explosion originating phreatic and phreatomagmatic eruptions, which frequently occur as observed in 2014 Mt. Ontake and 2016 Mt. Aso eruptions. At the submarine volcanoes, sea water is the source of external water, and surrounding pressure controls the occurrence of explosion. Sometimes boiling water itself erupts as geysers and at mud volcanoes. The aim of this session is gathering the observations of wet volcanic phenomena and understanding their mechanisms. We welcome contributions on a wide range of targets and approaches, including, geophysical observations of phreatic eruptions, insights from sea floor exploration, geochemical measurements of hydrothermal systems, theoretical approaches and numerical simulations, and laboratory experiments.