VOLCANO: EGU session SSP2.4/GMPV1.5: Mass Extinctions, Volcanism, Impacts, and Catastrophic Environmental Changes: Observations and Processes

From: Morgan Thomas Jones <m.t.jones@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: EGU session SSP2.4/GMPV1.5: Mass Extinctions, Volcanism, Impacts, and Catastrophic Environmental Changes: Observations and Processes

Dear colleagues,

We would encourage you to submit an abstract to the following EGU General Assembly session (deadline 11th January):

Mass Extinctions, Volcanism, Impacts, and Catastrophic Environmental Changes: Observations and Processes (SSP2.4/GMPV1.5; sponsored by IAS and SEPM)

This session will investigate how massive volcanism and meteorite impacts may have caused mass extinctions and global environmental crises. We hope to bring together researchers across the geological, geophysical, and biological disciplines to present new and exciting research. The session will focus on the main Phanerozoic mass extinctions (end Ordovician, end Devonian, end-Permian, end-Triassic, end-Cretaceous), but contributions from theoretical studies or from other environmental crises (e.g. PETM) are also welcome.

Conveners:
Sverre Planke, Thierry Adatte, Eric Font, Morgan Jones, David Bond, Yadong Sun, Stephen Grasby

Solicited abstracts:
Joost Frieling - Volcano-climate interactions and carbon cycling during the Palaeocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum
Joshua Davies - U-Pb geochronology and Hf isotopes from the Central Atlantic Magmatic Province (CAMP)

Abstract deadline
11th January 2017 (see http://egu2017.eu)

Meeting dates
EGU General Assembly, Vienna, 23-28 April 2017

We look forward to seeing you in Vienna.  Best regards.

Morgan