VOLCANO: Fwd: Volcano Surveying Enquiry

For those who may be interested in utilizing this service, please contact Mr. Martin via the email below or the number he has provided. - Sean

From: Oliver Martin <olivermartin360@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd: Fwd: Volcano Surveying Enquiry

Hope you're well.  I've just been passed your email address by Dr Clive Oppenheimer, as I had contacted him regarding the potential use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs, or drones) for aerial surveying, mapping and imaging within volcanology (and by extension, any other geophysical phenomena which may be of interest).   Clive suggested in his email that I contact you, as this is the main email address that volcanologists use, and due to the fact that I would like to publicise our aerial imaging and surveying services as widely as possible, within volcanology circles.  If there is any way you could circulate this information to anyone working in the field of volcanology, I would be extremely grateful.

I have spent the last two years starting up my own company, to undertake aerial surveying, mapping and inspections using an unmanned aerial vehicle, aka UAV or drone.  This is not an easy task as it has involved gaining permission from the Civil Aviation Authority, who like to see the same standards followed in unmanned aviation as in manned.  I'm pleased to confirm however that following rigorous flight and safety training, I have gained the RPQ-s pilot's qualification and the CAA have subsequently granted me a "Permission for Commercial Operations".  I am also fully insured, (worldwide with a few exceptions) to undertake aerial surveying and imaging.

In an effort to differentiate ourselves from the competition, we're able not just to offer aerial photographs and videos, but we can also offer accurate 3D modelling, orthomosaic mapping, and detailed topographic modelling; and we plan to add a thermal camera to our portfolio as soon as practical.  I hope that these features would be beneficial to your investigations.

Combined with our drone's GPS system, this would allow individual pictures, or whole maps (3D and topographic models), to be created from exactly the same position at different times, in effect allowing you to study differences in the topography of a volcano from one period (a month, or a year) to the next.  This could be particularly pertinent in cases where a volcano's magma chamber is filling and it is being studied with an imminent eruption in mind.  Albeit that I know you have tiltmetres and various other gadgetry to study such phenomena, I would like to think that having the ability to create 3D models and elevation maps, as well being able to scan for thermal anomalies, would assist you in the work you are already doing.

The other obvious advantage that using a UAV brings to mind which I mustn't overlook, is the ability to get much closer to the subject material that you would otherwise be able to do using a handheld camera, or indeed even a manned helicopter.  We can fly directly over the crater of a volcano, and even descend into it for a closer view.  This could save time in climbing up (or down) to a position in order to photograph it, and would enable pictures and footage to be taken from locations that are simply too dangerous to do on foot.  Similarly, petrol driven helicopters - as well as being expensive to hire - are susceptible to dangers from volcanic ash.  Our drone, with its electric motors, is not as sensitive to volcanic ash, and even in the worst case scenario that it did "go down" no lives would be endangered, and the insurance company would then simply replace the cost of the drone.

I hope this is something that would be of interest to you; certainly I can see the advantages it could bring to volcanology, and it would be my dream to carry out this kind of work.

With best regards,

Oliver Chennell-Martin RPQ-s
DragonEye Aerial Imaging Ltd
Tel: 07710 269 121