VOLCANO: CoV9. Reminder CoV9-S3.1: Volcano-tectonic processes from basement to surface: control on activity and hazard

From: Alessandro Bonforte <alessandro.bonforte@xxxxxxx>
Reminder CoV9-S3.1: Volcano-tectonic processes from basement to surface: control on activity and hazard

Dear colleagues,

Deadline for abstract submission is approaching and we kindly remind you to submit your abstract to the session

S3.1 "Volcano-tectonic processes from basement to surface: control on activity and hazard"

at the Cities on Volcanoes 9 conference (Puerto Varas, Chile, November 20 – 25, 2016) http://www.citiesonvolcanoes9.com

We also inform you that we will try to propose a special Research Topic to Frontiers journal if enough participants will be interested in it.

The abstract submission deadline is August 15, 2016

Session: S3.1 Volcano-tectonic processes from basement to surface: control on activity and hazard

Conveners: Alessandro Bonforte, Nicolas Fournier, Aline Peltier, Michael Poland, Eleonora Rivalta, Joel Ruch

Most volcanoes form on tectonically active areas, and the geodynamic, structural and morphological setting of their basement influences their stress regime and, thus, seismic and volcanic activity. In turn, the growth of a volcano disturbs the regional tectonic framework, clamps and unclamps existing faults, and influences the ascent and pathway magma. Volcano tectonic processes drive the growth and shapes of volcanoes, basement structure, magma transport and storage, rift zone formation, and reactivation of pre-existing faults by rapid changes in the volcano stress field. These processes result in hazards, such as flank instability and collapse with related aseismic fracturing (creep) and seismic (earthquakes) activity down to the populated volcano periphery and alternated summit and more hazardous distal flank eruptions.
This session focuses on studies and techniques aimed at better understanding volcano-tectonic processes, such as the relationship between geodynamic setting and volcanic activity, the relationship between the edifice structure and its basement and on the effects of regional tectonics on volcano structure, evolution and activity, such as feeding systems, dike intrusions and sector collapses. It also emphasizes studies on volcanic edifice structure, growth and stability at different time scales (from single volcano tectonic event to transient multi-decadal episodic activity, from slow and continuous sliding to rapid sector collapse). We encourage submissions that involve/integrate geological, geophysical and geochemical data and conceptual, experimental, analytical and numerical modeling, especially with a multidisciplinary approach and employing innovative and multi-parametric instrumentation. It is our hope that the session will spur cross-disciplinary exchanges aimed at a more comprehensive vision of the complex volcano tectonic processes and their hazards.

Thank you

The Conveners

Alessandro Bonforte
Nico Fournier