VOLCANO: CoV9. S1.15 "Unraveling the effects of large eruptions using geophysical prospection together with history and archeology in Latin America and beyond."

CoV9. S1.15  "Unraveling the effects of large eruptions using geophysical prospection together with history and archeology in Latin America and beyond."
From: Anthony Finizola <anthony.finizola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

If you are involved in projects related with the effect of large scale eruptions, we invite you to submit an abstract to our Cities on Volcanoes 9 Session 1.15:

Unraveling the effects of large eruptions using geophysical prospection together with history and archeology in Latin America and beyond.

Conveners:

José MACHARE, Instituto Geofísico del Perú (IGP), Peru. (jose.machare@xxxxxxxxxx)

Lionel FIDEL SMOLL, Instituto Geológico Minero Metalúrgico (INGEMMET), Peru. (lfidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Anthony FINIZOLA, Laboratoire GéoSciences Réunion, University of La Réunion - IPGP, France. (anthony.finizola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Jean-Claude THOURET, Laboratoire Magmas et Volcans, University Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand, France. (J.C.Thouret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Marco RIVERA, Observatorio Vulcanológico del INGEMMET (OVI), Arequipa, Perú. (mrivera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Orlando MACEDO, Observatorio Vulcanológico del Sur (OVS), Instituto Geofisico del Peru (IGP), Arequipa,  Peru. (orlando.macedo@xxxxxxxxxx)

Jersy MARIÑO, Observatorio Vulcanológico del INGEMMET (OVI), Arequipa, Peru. (jmarino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Session description

We seek to attract as many scientists as possible who have worked or are currently working on historic and pre-historic settlements throughout Latin America and beyond, using physical volcanology, (geo)-archeology, historical data, and social studies (ethnology, anthropology, etc.). In addition we invite scientists who conduct sub-surface geophysical prospection in geo-archeology associated to geological and archeological studies of old (pre-hispanic) settlements. Finally we invite also scientists who seek to unravel the paleo-climatic effects of catastrophic eruptions at regional and continental scale using several proxies (ice cores, tree rings and speleothems, among others). We would like to take this opportunity to present recent studies in south Peru in particular the current investigation on settlements buried by the large, 1600 AD Plinian eruption of Huaynaputina (a project termed ‘Huayruro’).

Our session is part of Symposium 1: Volcanoes Risk Reduction.

The abstract submission deadline is 15 July 2015

Cities on Volcanoes 9 will be held in Puerto Varas, Chile, November 20 – 25, 2016.

The conference website is
http://www.citiesonvolcanoes9.com/en/ and the second circular providing more information is availalbe at http://www.citiesonvolcanoes9.com/fileadmin/documentos/2CIRCULAR_COV9_ENG_20160505.pdf

Best regards on behalf of the conveners,

Anthony Finizola