VOLCANO: CoV9. S1.10 Raising awareness of volcanic hazards with children

CoV9. S1.10 Raising awareness of volcanic hazards with children
From: Chiara Maria Petrone <C.Petrone@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to the session S1.10 Raising awareness of volcanic hazards with children at the Cities on Volcanoes 9 conference to be held in Puerto Varas, Chile, November 20 – 25, 2016: http://www.citiesonvolcanoes9.com

The abstract submission deadline is 15 July 2016

Session information:

S1.10 Raising awareness of volcanic hazards with children

An estimated 800 million people are living in areas vulnerable to eruptions of active volcanoes, many of which are children. When it comes to the communication of our research, one of the most important goals must be to sensitize these youngest members of society to the hazards related to volcanoes in their neighbourhood at an early age. It is equally important that they are aware of the environment in which they live and the benefit deriving from living in a volcanic area. In order to successfully raise awareness of volcanic hazards with children, hands-on approaches need to be explored that are graphic yet not evoking fear or other negative emotions. In this session, we invite contributions on concepts of and experiences with giving children an understanding of volcanic hazards and environment – this may include both specific work in high- risk areas and general awareness programs. We are looking forward to receiving your contributions.

Hope to see you in Chile

The Conveners

Chiara Maria Petrone

Hugo Delgado-Granados